Chpater 41: Twentieth, not even my Twenty-first

I was at Tom's parent's house in Epsom, spending my twentieth birthday there. I'm not a teen anymore, which I thought was pretty scary. It was exactly five o'clock in the evening when these people in front of me arrived and surprised me.

'HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!' All of them shouted happily.

My reaction was to scream, causing the rest of them to laugh loudly. When the door bell rang few seconds ago, Tom told me to get the door with him because it was a delivered gift and wanted to show me as quickly as possible.

'What're you all doing here?' I squealed quietly between laughter. Then the huge basket that Dan was holding caught my eyes. 'What did you do?'

'To celebrate of course!' Em flung her arms around me and I squeezed her back.

'And it's for you!' Dan grinned, raising the basket higher.

'You didn't have to!' I said as I hugged the rest of them.

'Oh yeah we do! You're probably in America next year!' Dan beamed at me.

'Thank you so much.' I said after my laughter.

'Come in, it's getting cold out here.' Tom beckoned them all inside.

When we all entered the living room, Sharon greeted them happily. 'Welcome everyone!'

'Thanks for letting us come, Sharon, Peter.' Em smiled widely at Tom's parents.

'Not a problem at all! It's great having you all here.'

They all thanked him cheerfully and turned to face me. Oh, and when I say "all of them", I mean Em, Dan, Rupert, Bonnie, Evy and both Matt L and Matt G.

'Presents?' Bonnie said.

'Or cake?' Rupert asked, raising the large box he was carrying.

'Let's say... Presents.'

'But - don't you want it fresh?' Rupert pouted.

'Just chuck it in the freezer.' Dan laughed.

I didn't miss Rupert mumbling, 'Damn it.'

'Hey, I'm not saying that I don't want cake sometimes later.'

'Dinner's around the corner too.' Sharon added.

Rupert sighed before saying, 'Okay okay.'

Then, everyone gave me their presents with a word or two and I started opening it one by one after I said a word of thanks.

The first present I opened from the seven that just arrived was Bonnie and it was a huge bottle of Taylor Swift's Wonderstruck perfume and one from Georgia Armani that I desperately wanted.

'Oh I love you!' I flung my arms around her as soon as I saw the Armani.

'Happy birthday.' She laughed as she squeezed me back.

'Taylor Swift? Really?' Matt L laughed, picking up the box.

'Hey, it smells nice. Don't judge.'