Part 7

Don pulled the needle from Raph's neck, as his brother held a cotton ball to his throat above the artery from where Donatello had taken the blood sample. Raph waited patiently for the bleeding to stop.

Don had decided to begin running some tests on his older brother. He had tested Raph's blood before, but had decided to test some arterial blood, in case he had missed something that was broken down once it hit the regular blood stream. Don knew that Raph was still recovering from his injuries, and that it had only been seven weeks since Raph's abduction; but his brother's normally hot-headed demeanor seemed to be disturbingly absent.

Not that this wasn't a somewhat pleasant turn of events; not having to fight with Raph every step of the way in regards to his recovery. But his red clad brother's easy compliance and acceptance of the restrictions placed upon him because of his injuries was beginning to put their entire family on edge.

Don waited for Raph to growl at him and tell him to stop poking and prodding at him, and to ask when he could begin training again. Don steeled himself for the inevitable fight. Raph's plastron was healing well, but it still needed another week to heal to the point where Don would feel comfortable letting Raph begin to train again.

"Thanks, Donny." Raph said as he slid off the examination table.

Don blinked in shock. "You're welcome." Don responded in a somewhat faint voice.

"You're not worried about somethin' are you, Donny?" Raph asked in concern, as he nodded towards the vial of blood that was clutched in Don's hand.

"Um..." Don began as Raph's eye ridges rose in questioned surprise. "No, no." Don shook his head quickly from side to side. "Just checking your blood count. You lost a lot of blood, so I am just making sure that it is recovering sufficiently." He lied. "How are you feeling? " Don asked. "Tired, nauseous? Is there still pain in your lower abdomen?" Don asked in a rush of questions to cover up his lie. He generally never lied to any of his family, but he didn't want to worry Raph unnecessarily.

Raph just nodded and threw the cotton ball into the waste basket as he turned to leave.

"Uh... weren't you going to ask me when you could begin training again?" Don asked trying to keep his voice level; even though he found that it came out slightly strangled and wavering anyway.

Raph paused and looked at him over his shoulder, giving a one shouldered shrug. "I figured you would tell me when I'm ready." Raph answered.

Don nodded as if this made perfect sense, even though a wave of trepidation flowed along his skin, giving him goose-bumps. Raph seemed to be waiting for something and Don realized he was patiently waiting for Don to give him an answer to the question Don himself had posed. "About another week." He answered quickly.

Raph just gave a curt nod of his head and walked from Don's lab. Don stumbled back and fell into his computer chair, more disturbed from his conversation with his older brother than he should have been.

Don stared at the vial of blood in his hand. He knew that he should be glad that Raph's attitude seemed to have changed for the better. And although he could hypothesize that Raph's encounter with Bishop had suddenly instilled within his hot-headed brother patience, prudence, and politeness; Don couldn't help feeling that something was seriously wrong with his brother.

...........

Mikey watched as Raph emerged from Don's lab. Raph hadn't seen him yet. His brother looked distracted and was absently rubbing the inside of his elbow.

Mikey frowned slightly in worry. His brother wasn't the same old Raph that he used to be. He felt like Raph had turned into a Leo clone, or a Don clone. Raph didn't act or seem like himself and that was beginning to make Mikey worry.