CHAPTER 13: THIS IS SABOTAGE !!

The contents of the box reveal, a small wooden container with a red ribbon adorning the top, inside was a small roll of parchment looking fairly new to the eye. Abigail was the first to reach into the crate and pull out the box unravelling the contents until the bold black ink portrayed itself across the parchment filling it completely. the detectives glanced at each other and without further hesitation began to read its contents aloud.

"Good try detectives, these archives are safe without the world needing to know about them. unfortunately, I would just love to tell you exactly what was in the crate, but that wouldn't be much fun would it? I've warned you, it's the final one now, we don't want to discover things we really shouldn't, I said the young detective was next don't make me have to sully my reputation... 

BM 

They were too late the boulevard murderer was here before them, a major setback for the detectives.

"bastard!" exclaimed Carl.

Mother Francine seemed pale the colour draining from her cheeks with every passing moment, the realisation that to have access to these archives the killer would've had to bypass them all and walk these walls before having explicit knowledge of the existence of the evidence that could very well solve this case.

"How could he possibly know that the archives to Doris exist they have to be at least 30 years old its impossible" explained Abigail furiously

"I don't know abs but if we don't hurry soon we won't be able to stay one step ahead and win this race" replied carl

They turned their focus to mother Francine, her pale face and nervous eyes told them she didn't know about any of this, they helped her climb back up the steps towards the orphanage the lights that illuminated the hall was now darkened and the sun had hidden behind the clouds, Carl threw his might and slams the hatch back towards the ground in a rage. A hopeless trail.

Carl and Abigail cross through the orphanage admiring the still medieval-esqe architecture. Lisa with two small children in tow appeared at the door to the kitchen outside the room with the latch. she fixed her eyes upon the detectives before glancing over at mother Francine her pale face and slump shoulders an instant worry for the young apprentice.

"Mother Francine?" "are you ok?" she said worriedly

"I'm ok Lisa" she replied back

"Unfortunately we have to go now Lisa, take care of mother Francine for us we appreciate your hospitality" carl said

Lisa nodded and showed the detectives to the big heavy doors of the front entrance. The cold air brushed against their faces, and the pain of not accomplishing anything felt even colder as they were walking back to the patrol car.