CHAPTER 4: MISTAKES AND CHAMPAGNE !

The trail carl had been following for what seemed like hours finally lead him to the back door. It led to a garden carl was more than familiar. This is where he and Abigail sometimes relaxed and kicked back after missions. He swung open the door pistol in hand and peered into the night the garden was empty. The back gate was left half open and blood had not been found outside. He crept onto the pebble garden stones until he reached the entrance on the top was a note perched on a nail. Carl immediately distinguished what had happened. This bastard is taking out Abigail so that I'll be left alone on this case.

The note read.

Dear, loser I'm just going grocery shopping be back soon. Make urself at home. By the way, I had an accident with a glass while pouring myself a drink, so I have got to mop it up left the gate open for ya. Pour urself a drink won't be long.

Abigail xx

Carl blew a sigh of relief and headed back inside he sat down on the couch and poured himself a scotch. He turned the tv on and fell asleep... a half-hour later carl woke to a knock on the front door. He opened it to find Abigail drenched and shivering from the cold. "hurry up and get in you weirdo your gonna catch a cold" he said. "care to explain the front window shattered to pieces dumbass !!!" she bellowed. "hey in my defence I looked inside and there was blood ok" "I left the gate open for ya what nincompoop wouldn't have just jumped over to the gate and gone in? "well I guess it wasn't your fault you were worried about me" she grinned.

Carl felt his face turn into molten lava and turned away to avoid her seeing his face.

He then remembered seeing two glasses on the floor. Which means Abigail must have had company. "about the two glasses on the floor you had company?. He asked. "it was gonna be for you when you came by, she turned bright red and turned to her groceries. They both knew that there was chemistry behind them even at the academy where they both graduated. They had both enrolled around the same time and became roommates. Abigail was the sensible one always picking up on chores while Nate was more rigorous with training. Abigail didn't mind this though she got to see Nate training without a shirt...

Abigail unpacked the contents of her groceries. Lasagne the microwaveable kind, various vegetables and a large bottle of champagne. Carl wondered as to why she had asked him over in the first place since they haven't been over each other's place since academy days. "yo Abigail" said Nate. She turned and peered from behind the fridge door. "yea what's up" "what's the special occasion?" he asked. "what do you mean?" she asked. "well you invited me over to yours without an explanation haven't been here lately" as he said this carl realized that Abigail's fiery persona did not radiate through the abode. Potted plants very well looked after lined the walls near the stairs and everything was neat and in place. She even had two cats with pink cushions each. Everything carl knew about Abigail seems so far-fetched compared to her lifestyle.

"I just feel like it's long overdue" she finally answered. Carl surprised just muttered out "fair enough". "now make yourself useful and put a pot boiling imma go shower", she said. Carl opened up the bottom cabinet where he knew she kept her pots and pans and put one on the stove. Suddenly a thought crept through his mind. Why is Abigail so friendly all of a sudden?... Carl kicked back to his reactions and turned the gas on low to avoid overflowing the pot. He heard a pitter-patter of wet feet on the stairs and saw Abigail towels draped across her slender body towel around her hair. She looked terrific, he thought.

Carl stared at her, dripping on the floor. "Ummm abs" he said. She stepped forward and draped her hands around him and pulled him in... before they both knew it; she had kissed him. All her feelings and passion radiating through one moment she felt him pull her in closer and turned off the stove with one hand another on her slim waist. Carl grabbed the bottle of champagne, and as children playing chase, they ran upstairs to the bedroom. After a few glasses, they both knew it was undeniable they were meant for each other by some twist of fate they had met. The following morning Abigail awoke to an alarm. She rolled over, expecting to find carl laying down next to her. But all she saw was an empty glass and a note. Carl must have gone home, she thought. She reached for the letter and opened it up.

It read ...