CHAPTER 10: AMBROSIA DE GARCIA!!

Carl gasped and dropped the lit menthol cigarette from his lips, Ambrosia had appeared suddenly, catching him off guard.

"Ms Garcia? What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in your room?" Carl asked her due to her sudden appearance.

"I couldn't sleep... I was hoping a little fresh air would be good, I guess some company wouldn't hurt".

Carl glanced in his room and saw a sleeping Abigail who was shivering slightly. He carefully stepped past Ambrosia and entered the room and re-covered the shivering Abigail with the blanket, which she snuggled into. He gently ran his finger over her face, indulging in the moment before remembering the lady outside. Sighing, he exited the room, closing the door behind him.

"Follow me officer, we have much to discuss" Ambrosia spoke as she began walking away from him.

Carl was sceptical but thought any information might help the case. He began following her down the hotel corridor which was dimly lit with only a few small lights lined up the walls to light the path.

Carl saw Ambrosia walk into the final room on the corridor, following her, he pushed the door open and closed it behind him. Looking around he noticed there were two large velvet arm chairs placed in front of a large fire. Ms Garcia was elegantly sitting on one of the chairs facing the fire.

"Big difference a little money can do, right detective ?" She spoke proudly.

"What exactly is it you wanted to discuss?" Carl replied confidently.

"Well aren't you all work, no play", she chuckled.

Ambrosia got up from her armchair and poured a drink for herself and her guest, she placed the glass bottle back on the tray and walked over handing one over to Carl. As she gave him the glass, she allowed for her fingers to pass over his gently. Carl quickly grabbed the glass and took a small step away and waited for Ambrosia to take the first sip, making sure the drink was safe.

Inspecting his glass one last time, Carl emptied the contents and carefully placed the glass on the counter nearby.

"Alright now that we are feeling warmer, let's get on with our chat". She finally began sitting back down on the armchair, signalling for Carl to do the same.

Carl hesitantly took a seat in the lounge chairs. Carl couldn't take his eyes off her, it was as if some trance had been playing in his head since the first time he laid eyes on her.

"Why is it you are going to San Louredas detective?" She asked .

"How did you know that?!" Carl barked at her angrily. This should not be common knowledge.

"You have bigger things to worry about, I hear that you are on the trail of a serial killer are you not?" She asked .

"I'm not going to discuss these matters with you. Tell me what it is you want or I'll be leaving now." Carl stood up, frustrated with Ambrosia's mind games.

Ambrosia stood and approached him slowly.

"Officer, no need to get riled up, take this note, mother Francine might be able to give you a hand with your case. I warn you though, the orphanage holds many secrets, tread carefully" she replied.

Carl was dumbfounded, how the h.ell did she even know about their case, about the trip they had planned to go to the orphanage, who was this woman?!

Ambrosia had made her way to stand directly in front of Carl. She sipped her drink and looked up at him.

"I'll be leaving in the morning, this might be the last time I ever see you, detective". She said running a finger down his chest.

Slightly flustered, Carl made his way to the door and hesitated. Slowly turning around, he felt the last of his control flutter away as Ambrosia threw herself onto him. They exchanged a passionate kiss when suddenly Abigail popped into Carl's mind and the night they spent at hers. He pushed Ambrosia off of him and brushed his uniform off from imaginary dust.