CHAPTER 8 - FLASHBACK AT LUIGI'S ?

The detectives finally escorted Buck back to the patrol car, whilst diligently looking for anything out of the ordinary. They passed an odd-looking well, no water, no bucket, it looked as if it once held something with great importance within. Abigail was the most intrigued, not for the lack of water, but for the mysterious numbers carved into the stone blocks, that aligned the top of the well.

Large groups of crossed off fours appeared etched in the sides of the well, every crevice had a group itself. It reminded her of a prison cell of the olden era. Could have once been a prisoner abiding inside the abandoned well? Could they be there still?

Carl lowered Buck gently inside the patrol car and shut the door. Buck sat silently, whilst the detectives bickered amongst themselves. At last, he spoke.
"It was a cold rainy night at Luigi's..." Carl and Abigail turned around confused as to what he would possibly be mumbling about.
"Could you repeat that for us, Mr Morris ?" Replied Abigail.
"Like I said..." began Buck, "...it was a cold rainy night at Luigi's, Dorris was working behind the bar. Luigi's wasn't the pizza parlour you folks are accustomed to today, but rather a fancy bar called El Romarante.". Carl and Abigail exchanged glances and urged him to continue.

"Very well, El Romarante was the most popular watering hole in all of Newport at the time. Dorris poured me my regular, double whiskey on the rocks, whilst she kept her sharp eye on some young-ins that just walked inside."

I sipped on my 1970s North Port until she spoke, "I'm sorry hun, we may have to close up the shop early, I can sense trouble..."

"Of course I told her not to worry, I was serving in the US navy at the time as a marine... very fond memories" he was getting sidetracked.
"Back to the story, Mr Morris... please." prompted Carl.

"Ah yes, the young lads approached the bar and gazed upon the deep wound running across my left forearm, I sustained during my service," Buck looked upon them with a sorrowful look. "Anyways, the taller one named Bruce spoke first.".

"How did you get that old-timer?"
"Hard work." Buck answered.
"Bruce, leave this old coot alone" the younger one replied.
"You think you're funny old man, you're lucky Jeff is holding me back," replied Bruce with haste.

"I usually would have socked him in the chin for that remark," said Buck, "but I was enjoying my drink. I didn't want to spill it." the detectives gathered the information and returned to face Buck so he could finish. "They walked out of the bar yelling and cursing", said Buck.

Carl picked up the pace. Abigail was listening to Buck's story very carefully whilst Carl was continually reaching the same conclusion. If Buck and Dorris had this child, could they be next? And who is this mystery child? Buck continued to tell Abigail about how Dorris had been the one to comfort him after the Navy and that the two were inseparable after the fact. They all arrived at the precinct just after 6 pm. Buck was escorted up to the police station and stepped into interview room one, where an impatient commissioner Pellet awaited them.

Carl transferred Buck into the chair before whispering something to the commissioner's ear. Pellet left the room, and Carl sat directly opposite to Buck, while Abigail's arms folded, glared at the two eager to continue the investigation.

It was Nate who broke the silence.
"Buck, we need to know which exact orphanage did you drop off your child after it had been decided," said Carl. Buck Morris looked very weary and unsure of himself, his droopy chin hung even lower upon his plaid shirt.
"If I recall Dorris was very religious, she believed, that sending our child to St Luciana's orphanage was the best option so it could grow in the guidance of the Lord" he replied. Abigail finally unfolded her arms and scribbled away the name of the orphanage. "Okay Buck I think that's all we wanted to know, we need to get more information as to why Dorris and possibly you are targets," Carl answered back.

The two detectives escorted him back to the front of the precinct where the commissioner was waiting with a loaded truck.
"Okay, Mr Morris," said the commissioner finally, "We will be taking you to a safe house, where our three officers, Gherald, Randy and Sargeant Tobias will be looking after you."

Buck nodded exasperated and followed Sargeant Tobias to the truck. Carl and Abigail waved goodbye and rushed inside to track down their new lead. Finally, they reached the large operator's desk that occupied a large portion of the main foyer in which a young operator known as Fiona worked.
"Hey Fifi," they both said in unison.
"Here we go, which possible lead have you guys stumbled upon this time" she answered back. Fiona stood up, her short skirt and tight blouse rustling with every movement. She was the best-looking staff member in the whole precinct, even some rumours used to go around about her and Nate a few years prior.

"We need to know about St Luciana's orphanage," said Abigail. Fiona looked up the orphanage on the database, and indeed an orphanage just outside Newport in the small town of San Louredas in Mexico popped up, blinking on the screen.
"876 Picota street, San Louredas" replied Fiona.
"THANKS FIFI!!" they both replied as they rushed out of the precinct,
coats and badges in hand. Both detectives scrambled into the car and sped down the narrow streets in the direction to San Louredas, Mexico.