20. FATHERLY WORRIES

Soichiro's POV

"Ryuzaki...How long have you known Hikari for?" I asked the question I was meaning to ask. I saw him get out of his seat and go into his room to get something. A few minutes later he came back with a warm blanket that he placed on Hikari.

"I've known her for about 10 years." He answered and I was so surprised about that. More so about him putting a blanket over Hikari than anything.

"That's a lot." I said in a whisper so I don't wake her up.

"And it seems you care a lot about her too." I added.

"I do. She's the only other person who I would do anything for apart from Watari." He said and I remembered something. They were not talking to each other normally by the looks of it.

"Why is she mad at you if you care so much about her?" I asked.

"Since you know he well I believe you know about her parents too. Am I correct?" He asked and I nodded as an answer.

"They used to work for me. They died during a mission and just before it I promised them that I'd protect them. That was the only reason they were wiling to do that mission. But halfway through it they said that they don't need protection as long as Hikari and Jace don't know how or who killed them during the mission or even what the mission was until I get the murderer behind bars. And that's what happened. I didn't tell her. I knew what they thought was right for her. And Hikari was not happy about that at all. She said as long as I don't tell her about their mission and who killed them and how? She will not talk to me." He answered as he stroked her hair in a very longing manner and Hikari smiled.

"Panda."She said. That left me in quite a shock.

His explanation was very detailed, I did not expect such an honest and detailed answer.

"L, I didn't expect you to say it in such a detail but...is that all?" I didn't believe that was it.

"No. I was being tracked by the person who killed them and at that moment I was unable to fight against them. I didn't want Hikari involved in it so I didn't meet her for 2 years and she's very angry about that more than anything."

"And of course you couldn't have told her that without telling her the whole story. Since she's so smart she'd know what the mission is in a very short time." I added to his reply. He nodded and retracted his hand from her head.

A few moments later I heard whimpers. It was none other than Hikari. She seemed to be having a night mare.

"No! NO! NO! NO!"

"Kari! Kari! Kari!" L turned to her in an attempt to calm her down but failed.

"V!" He used her work name which actually seems to be her nick name to calm her down. I was quite worried so I got up from my seat and held her hand and brushed her hair in a calming manner.

L whispered something to her after which she slowly opened her eyes slowly. She was tearing up tears falling down like water fall. Her eyes were only a squint until L went up and hugged her by surprise. This was probably the 5th time he surprised me in just a small time span of 15 minutes.

"Aww is my panda worried about me?" I heard her ask him while smiling she looked at me that's when our eyes made contact, it caused her to widen her eyes.

She seemed so much happier with him. While with us she'd smile but I knew she didn't mean them it was just to show us that she was okay when in fact she was not. She must've been suffering so much but she didn't show it. At least for Jace. But now with L she was genuinely happy. She needed him. I could tell that by how she started whimpering as soon as he retracted his hand from her head.

'I hope she can be truly happy. She really deserves it.' I thought.

"It's been so long since you last called me that. At least when you were awake." L complained. I could tell how happy he was to hear her call him a panda. She blushed at the remark but soon enough she seemed to have realised that she was in fact mad at him. She was trying to struggle from his grip as soon as she let go of him.

"Fine..." He said and looked at the TV.

"By the way...Here." He went closer to her with a tissue. She looked so confused. But it seemed she realised it soon enough since she took the tissue immediately.