Chapter 31: The Aftermath

"That sounded like a pretty intense fight."

Hange turned around to see Moblit leaning against the door frame. They exhaled deeply, taking off their glasses to rub their temples. (Y/N) had left the room ten minutes ago, leaving Hange to stand in silence and think about what they had just said. Had they been wrong? Had they acted wrong?

"Yeah, sorry you had to hear that," Hange cleared their throat, unable to meet Moblit's eyes. Had he heard it all? Had he heard how much of a jerk they had been towards (Y/N)?

"Wanna come talk about it? Pasta is ready and I brought out the red wine so we can relax," He offered, motioning towards the kitchen.

"Sure, why not," Hange followed Moblit into the kitchen, their thoughts still on the stunned look on (Y/N)'s face when they had said they didn't trust her. The hurt that was present in her eyes...well, it ate at them. Hange was pretty sure that they had hurt (Y/N) much more than she had hurt them in the beginning. But what else could they have said? What else could they have done?

There were three plates prepared with what seemed to be a delicious serving of pasta. Hange felt their mouth watering at the sight of it. Moblit's cooking was the best. They couldn't help but think of the time that (Y/N) had cooked for them. That had been pretty good too. At the thought of her toiling away at the kitchen, even though she didn't even know how to cook, had Hange's heart rate increase a little.

"So, what happened?" Moblit asked as he poured Hange a glass of wine. "(Y/N) seemed pretty upset."

"I might just be a horrible person, Moblit," Hange sighed as they took a spoonful of the pasta, savoring the taste of garlic and butter.

"You? A horrible person? Oh, come on, you're one of the kindest people I know!" Moblit stated, looking at Hange with wonder.

Hange smiled wryly, dragging their fork along the plate. "I might have really hurt one person to the point I'm sure there's no going back. I think I hurt the one that mattered the most."

"(Y/N)?" Moblit asked quietly, his kind eyes peering at Hange's face curiously.

Hange only nodded. (Y/N) had confessed to them, she had laid out her heart to them, and they had said they pitied her. Hange was quite stupid, weren't they? For a brilliant scientist, they weren't great at people skills. Did they really not trust her? Did they really think she was still acting as a spy? Or was it something else? Was it perhaps fear or anxiety? As a person who had never gone through an event like this before, Hange was having a very difficult time trying to figure out how they were feeling. But there was no use for that anymore...it was too late to make things different. There was no going back from the actions that they had done.

"I don't think it's ever too late to apologize, you know?" Moblit said gently. "If you believe your words were hurtful then...then say sorry?"

"No, there's no going back from what I said," Hange said softly. "I'm stuck with the decision I chose then."

"Don't say that, an apology really does go a long way!" Moblit insisted. "(Y/N) will forgive you. I am sure she'll forgive you...she loves you, doesn't she?"

Hange blinked, startled by Moblit's sudden proclamation. "I'm not sure about love, I'm pretty sure it's an infatuation...but how did you figure that out? I didn't tell you she confessed."

"It's very obvious she likes you, Hange. I'm surprised you hadn't picked up on that until now," Moblit chastised. "You're usually so perceptive, how did you not notice the way she looked at you? The way her tone changed when she talked to you? The way she was generally happier around you?"