Chapter 5

Kreischberg, Austria
November 23rd, 1943

When Katherine woke up, the need to throw up came rushing down her throat. She felt the bile fighting to get out. When the hot liquid breached her lips, she tried to lean to one side to let it all out but she soon discovered she couldn't move. She was unable to do anything.

The contents of her hungry stomach began to pour down her cheeks as she choked in her own vomit. They were leaking into her hair and tunneling beneath her neck as she struggled to breath, only succeeding in choking more on the vomit pooling in her mouth.

Katherine's eyes started to water in panic at her inability to gasp for hair as her arms desperately tried to find a way to free themselves for whatever it was the thing holding them.

Suddenly a strong hand finally griped her shoulder before tugging her onto her side while she continued to heave onto the floor, not knowing if the vomit would ever stop coming. She felt so sick and she didn't know why, but when the hand that she didn't know who it belonged to started to take the hair off the way, Katherine opened her eyes in panic.

A shiny blue light blinded her immediately and forced her to close her eyes again because of how strong it was. It hurt to even try to look at something, because all she could see is was that light.

She started to grow even more desperate at the realization of what had happened to her before she passed out. The feelings inside of her were going crazy. She knew she was in danger, and that fucking blue light that wasn't letting her see anything.Until now, she'd never thought of blue as a sad color because it brought back happy memories. It was the color of her grandma's favourite sweater. The color of the wrapping paper of her first Christmas present she remembered and the color of the tickets of her first show.

It was the color of her prom dress and the color of the eyes of the man who took her there. The eye color of the man she loved.

The blue eyes that picked her up from her first audition and the eyes that saw her running towards them with excitement when she got the lead role. The same blue eyes that watched her cry the night her grandma died and that later assured her with the spark in then that she'd never ever be alone.

Blue was home.

Blue was safe.

Now Katherine wasn't sure of what had happened, but she knew that she wasn't safe wherever she was.

She remembered the man from the theater and the way everything went dark all of the sudden. Then she recalls being on a... plane? She didn't know, it looked like a plane but her seconds of consciousness didn't last long because she was quickly put out again.

Now she had no idea where she was, but Katherine knew she wasn't alone when she felt that hand holding her hair while she threw up. Her hands were tied to a chair, as well as her feet. She couldn't push that hand away even if she wanted to.

She was absolutely defenseless.

And that frightened her.

The first thing Katherine saw when she looked up was that guy's face, his green eyes staring at her closely as if he wanted to make sure she was okay.

They weren't blue.

Green was fear and desperation.

Dimitri held her gaze, analyzing her tired and pale features, and she hated every single second he spent scrutinizing her face.

He had brought her there, and now he had the audacity to look at her with pity.

He was disgusting.