Chapter 9

Italy
December 23rd, 1943

"She would never hurt anyone, you don't have to keep her hands tied like an animal. I won't allow it"

Bucky's voice is the first thing Katherine heard when she woke up, but it sounded distant. And angry. He was arguing with someone, but she could not hear the discussion very well. He was too far, or at least not in the same room as her.

"I understand your concern, Sergeant Barnes. But we don't know how she'll react to the different environment"

"That's why you have to let me into the room, she'll be fine if she knows I'm there"

"She's a danger to others and herself. My superiors specifically told me..."

"I DON'T GIVE A FU-

"Buck, calm down." another person cut him off "This is no good for any of us and especially for her"

Steve 's voice.

Was Steve there?

Actually, where was she?

They got away, didn't they?

She had heard Bucky arguing with someone. That meant he was okay, right?

Did Dr. Zola manage to capture her again and those were just hallucinations caused by the serum like it happened the first time?

It could be. There was this light shining directly into her face, keeping her from opening her eyes very well and definitely not helping to calm her nerves. The room she was in was definitely as white as the lab where she used to be held by the Hydra scientists; and her hands were tied up too.

No matter where she went, she would always be treated like a freak and a threat. A bunch of doctors and nurses were coming inside the room, but they didn't look like the ones that ran the studies on her when she was at the lab. These people seemed to be... taking care of her?

Now there were seven people moving from one side of the small white colored room to the other, readjusting the big lamp closer to her face and making it impossible for her to see anything. She could hear them around her and the cold gel they were spreading on her chest to run the EKG as she managed to fix her weak sight in one tall man approaching her with a stethoscope.

"She's waking up, don't you see that? She needs to know I'm here!" Bucky kept yelling at the soldiers guarding the door of the room as Katherine heard him from the inside.

"Sergeant, with all due respect, she knocked out three soldiers when they were trying to get her inside the cars. I think that the appropriate thing to do is for you to let us do our job and then we'll let you and the Captain inside the room to see her"

She... she did what

She didn't remember that, she thought. After she passed out literally in the air, Katherine didn't remember anything. She'd made it, otherwise she wouldn't even be there; but did she really knock out three men? Why didn't she remember? How on earth...

Could it possibly be that fucking serum they injected her? Was that the reason why she was so strong? If that thing made her stronger, why did she feel so weak after she'd freed herself from the chains? She should have been able to walk, at least.

She didn't feel powerful at all, actually. Everything that happened in that lab... or in the room with Dimitri and the fucking whip. That made her feel more powerless than ever. And now she was lying in a bed, her body was sore and the headache seemed to be about to blow her whole brain up with the pressure she felt.