Chapter 16

Tape 3

Moscow, Russia
1960

"After all these years of research we have finally succeeded on reaching the optimal result of all of our projects" the doctor said as he looked away. He would fight the tears this time. Or maybe he could make him think that his eyes were shining from the amazement of what he'd accomplished and not out of guilt "She's finally ready"

"Can we wake her up, now?"

The doctor cleared his throat.

"I wouldn't recommend that yet. Her body is still too sensitive from the substances running though her veins right now. It will be better if we wait a couple of days more"

The man stood by the table and looked at the girl lying in front of him. Just as beautiful as the day he first saw her. Only this time he wouldn't have to fight to have her anymore. He wouldn't have to haunt down the people who had her.

"Look at her, Doctor" he said "Look how beautiful she is"

"She's gorgeous, sir" he answered, knowing perfectly that this was the first truth he'd said in a while. Her red hair was even longer than the day he met her and even though her skin was pale due to the different treatments she'd been subjected to, her features remained the same. It was the same girl that looked at him with trust in her eyes. And now those eyes would never look at him the same. He swallowed the poison that his next words brought, and faking the same smile he'd been faking the last fifteen years, he said "Allow me to congratulate you, now. You have quite a strong woman here. And with my program and Dr. Kudrin's treatment you'll forever have her just as she is now"

"Will she stay young like this forever?"

"As long as she continues on the treatment of Professor Pchelinstov, she will"

  "Any news on HYDRA?"

That man liked to change the subject.

"No, sir. We dropped the tracker she had in her neck in the middle of the Pacific so as far as they're concerned, she is dead right now. The girl is completely yours, General"

His.

Finally.

After all these years, God was rewarding him for all his efforts and this was it. Life had returned her to him. Where she should have been all along.

Katerina Bowman was lying in the table completely still and asleep, too far away from the world to know where she was or why she was there. But the difference was that everybody knew her and what she would become.

All of them were waiting for her to wake up to start what would be a whole new beginning for the Cold War era. And the best part of it all was that General Dimitri Dreykov couldn't wait to be the one leading the way.

"Welcome to the Red Room, my beautiful Katerina"