17

Sunghoon's thoughts were raising. He couldn't figure out where he got the courage to hold her hand or even say that cheesy line but he was kind of glad he did.

Angelica still couldn't process what was going on as they walked over to sit on the grass with the rest of the small families. She looked around in slight nervousness as she felt her heart almost beating out of her chest.

A lot of the people noticed Sunghoon as they sat down but nobody was going to say anything. No one in this crowd had the courage to speak to Sunghoon's father anyway.

Everyone was getting their lanterns ready and Sunghoon let go of her hand to get their own  ready.

'Oh my God I can breath again.' She thought as she took a subtle deep breath. She looked down at her hand, thanking God that it wasn't sweaty.

"Now you're supposed to make a wish for the people next to you and then we will count down for you to let the lanterns go." The old man from earlier was standing on a small makeshift stage as he announced this to the people around him.

"I'm guessing he's the organizer." Angelica said looking at Sunghoon who was already closing his eyes and making a wish.

He already knows what to wish for me? What should I wish for him?

Angelica looked around and saw everyone closing their eyes. It was quiet and peaceful and this suddenly gave her an idea on what to wish for Sunghoon. 

Angelica followed what everyone was doing and after a while opened her eyes, seeing Sunghoon already looking at her.

Their attention was suddenly derived to the man who suddenly loudly cleared his throat and held his lantern in the air with a big smile.

"Now that everyone has made their wishes, you should release your lanterns together into the air once I count to three. Make sure to place your hands at the sides, the center can be pretty hot."

Sunghoon stood from his spot and extended his hand towards Angelica to help her stand. She gladly took his hand and stood up, placing one hand on the side of the lantern.

"Now, 1,2,3!"

They both released the lantern in unison to the crowd around them. There were lanterns everywhere and some flew higher than others. The sight was beautiful. Like something out of a movie. Angelica felt like taking a picture but then she thought that taking a picture wouldn't do the moment any justice.

Sunghoon stared at the sky in awe. He's been wanting to see this since he was a child. He had only seen a promotional picture of the festival while he was in town for the first time, then he kept seeing it year after year, yearning to come see this with his own eyes. 

But his father was never the type to do things like this, and his mother..She's been gone for a while now.

She left when he was two months old. His father said it was because she had another man. Even Ms. Suh said the same things. After a while he learned to resent his mother.

But sometimes he wondered if she would have taken him to this festival if he asked and wondered if she would give him as much candy as he wanted.

He wondered what she was like and how different his life would've turned out if she had stayed.

"Wow. Now that's something everyone needs to see before they die." Angelica said with a surprised chuckle.

"Yeah." He said quietly and Angelica managed to hear him. She looked at him for a while as he stared up at the lights. The lighting was definitely doing his pretty face justice. His eyes seemed to have stars in them with the reflections of the lanterns.