Chapter 36

Amber's POV
We were once again galloping into another different biome, finding something else with crazy powers, to save our world - and another - from a slimy, three thousand year old monster.
But now we had some powerful back-up, and this time I was the only one on the horse.

Above me, the majority was in the sky, shooting fireballs and lights and whatnot. Roran was clinging tightly to Buddy as he flapped through the sky, tongue lolling out happily. Ana was wave-riding the dirt. And the Ocelot Mage was on the ground, in ocelot form, racing ahead as our scout.

I was the only one on my horse, only keeping up with the others at a steady gallop. I kept glancing up at Ana, who was twisting her hands to create small sparks of green light, which attracted Buddy, which then led to a cursing Roran, holding on for dear life as his ride shot to earth like an arrow shot from a bow.

I didn't know what to think anymore. Everybody had been accepting each other's hidden secrets, because hey, just another weird thing in this long list of things not right in the world! But I didn't have powers. I was normal. And all these secrets, breaching the surface like the Guardian rising from water, was unnerving me and upsetting the balance that we all had, once upon a time. And judging by the look that had now settled in Tash's eye she, too, had something to hide...

Then my horse came to a sudden stop, almost catapulting me off.
Spitting my hair out of my mouth, I was about to yell at him, but the words died in my throat as I looked up, realising that the sun was gone, and then seeing the reason why.

Looming above us was a gigantic mountain, like a broken castle left to nature for a thousand years. It was all stone crag and snow, so jagged and crumbling I thought it would collapse if someone dared even sneeze on it. Luckily, it was leaning ever so slightly in the other direction, so we wouldn't be squished into zombie paste.
Hopefully.

"He's in here," Roran announced, a little too loudly. We'd been riding into the wind, so any conversation had been shouted out at the top of one's lungs. And even then, I missed most of it because everyone was up in the sky, flying around and showing off.

He coughed, either to cover up his mistake or because of the dust that Ana had kicked up from landing. "The Bat Mage lives somewhere in there. There's an entrance down the bottom, but I'd suggest splitting up, so half us head up and half of us head down."

Roran split us into groups; Lyta, Ana, Dax and Loca were going skywards; then me, the Ocelot Mage, Roran and Hercules were going underground. Tash was going to stay outside, to keep an eye out for any mobs on the prowl or any of these sinister, elusive 'Lords'.

"Are you sure you don't want to come with us?" Hercules asked Tash, a worried look in his eyes. "Your fire would light up the caves just as well as my light."

Tash patted him reassuringly on the shoulder, then checked her hand for stray zombie-pigman flesh. "I'm sure. You're a healer, and won't be able to fight off large numbers of mobs. Besides, the others might need that healing touch of yours."

When he continued to look unconvinced, she made a shooing gesture, and sparks flew from the tips of her fingers. "Hurry up and leave, before I turn you into bacon."
Hercules waved a fist at her half-heartedly, but did what she said and turned away.

Tash winked at me, before jumping up and taking off, fire trailing behind her as she played lookout.

I waved my hand to get my group's attention. "Are we gonna go in, or are we going to stand around bantering?"
Roran nodded, drawing his sword. There was no sun to make it spark and shine, but it still drew attention, and sobered up the joking mood that had been trailing us for a while.