Chapter 1

Tash's POV

I sat up quickly, startled. For a moment, I didn't know where I was, and my head swivelled wildly from side to side as I clutched tightly at my sheets.
Then I relaxed as the memory came back to me, and fell straight back into bed with a loud yawn. I was just in my room, safely tucked into bed.
Outside my window, the sun had begun to rise, its golden rays passing through my window, and as they washed over me, I let a smile pass across my face.

I stretched my arms and yawned again, reluctant to get out of my comfortable bed. I glanced across my room, at the mirror on my wall, and looked at myself.
Long brown hair, fiery orange eyes eyes and often a black jumpsuit that hugged my tall and slender figure. The thing was old and worn, but it was mine, and I loved it.

I looked around at my familiar room, taking in the old suuroundings -  jungle wood walls, ones that creaked in the wind; a small grate on the far side of the room, with a fire crackling merrily inside it to keep me warm on cold nights; and rows upon rows of bookshelves, taking up an entire right wall and so crammed full of books they were constantly full to bursting.
A chest full of my things sat next to my bed, and most of my jungle wood floor was taken up by a fluffy white sheepskin rug.

And, there on my closed jungle door, carved with the blade of a knife, was a small sketch of a little pig, which always made me smile the moment I saw it.
My room was comfortable and warm, and it suited me well.
It kept me calm.

Lost in memories of happy days, I almost didn't hear the deafening crash from downstairs.
I looked up, immediately alert, heartbeat thumping against my ribcage.
I flipped back the covers and slid out of bed, quietly and carefully, so I wouldn't alert any intruders in our house to my presence.
I flipped open the chest I kept next to my bed, grabbed a golden sword that one of my friends used to use, slung my trusted bow over my back, and snatched up a few arrows as well.
You could never be too careful around here.

I slowly pushed open the door to ny room, making sure the joints didn't creak, and peered cautiously down the hallway of the house. Everything looked normal, nothing out of the ordinary. The hallway, built from planks, wasn't blown apart or set on fire... again.

I stepped out into the open, an arrow notched into my bow and ready to shoot as I padded quietly down the hallway.
Still nothing, no signs of trouble or disturbance.
I frowned, lowering my bow slightly. Maybe it had been my pet wolf, Buddy.

Just then, a figure appeared in midair, upside down and swinging from the rafters, and yelled, "BANANA!"
I jumped backwards with a yelp of shock, accidentally releasing the arrow still notched in my bow.
Unfortunately for me, I had been at the edge of the stairs when I'd leapt.

I windmilled my arms helplessly for a second, panicked, then landed on my back with a painful thud on the floor below.

"Ow." I managed, staring up at the ceiling with watering eyes. "I think I broke something."
The figure jumped down the stairs after me, as graceful as a bird, and offered me his hand. "Ah, you're fine. It's only a couple of stairs you missed."

I glared at him. "That might be true, but it still hurt!" I winced in pain as I accepted the outstretched hand.

Loca grinned at me, his storm-grey eyes full of mischief. His brown hair looked like a mini explosion, as per usual.
He was wearing his red helmet, along with the other red leather armour that he rarely took off. Underneath it was his grey T-shirt and black jeans, both faded and worn with age. The trickster of my group, always ready with a prank, a joke and a batch of cookies as an apology for whoever he'd just insulted. He was also lightning fast, ready to run if the cookies were rejected.