Chapter 39

Lyta's POV

"Where is she?" I asked anxiously, looking back over my shoulder at the rapidly shrinking hill, still failing to see a spark of fire, hear a cry of triumph that meant my friend had escaped.

Roran also looked troubled, but I couldn't tell if it was because of how the Giant's death had been brought about, or because Tash still hadn't caught up with us, like she'd promised.

Amber gave us a confident smile. "Come on, guys. We're all fighters here, and Tash is currently a walking flamethrower. She'll be fine."

But, as Amber turned away, I saw a flicker of doubt flash across her face, there and gone as fast as her newfound speed.
Silence fell upon the group like a smothering blanket, and nobody bothered trying to lift it.

We were travelling east, trying to find the last three Mages. The Horse and Ocelot Mage both suggested trying to find the Mooshroom Mage, who had apparently been a very good friend of theirs before he lost his marbles - something Roran told us, probably another Earth quote - and vanishing completely.

But Roran had, with reluctance, vetoed that idea. He'd told us the Mooshroom Mage might not be all that stable, to say the least, and bringing him along for what we were planning might endanger us all, Mooshroom Mage included.

By now, the hill was just a faint wavering outline in the distance, and the land before us had given out to flatter plains, dotted with grass, flowers and the occasional lake.
The Bat Mage had laughed when Roran said that, judging by the rough location of said Mages, they were both living on a large farm that was essential for most villages.
Then he'd realised Roran was serious, and his expression was priceless.

"I think something's wrong," I finally said a few minutes later.
The Horse Mage, who was walking on my right, twisted her head to look at me. "The farm's still a while away. We haven't lost it, trust me."

"It's not that," I replied slowly. "I trust your co-ordination, or the co-ordination of whoever's taking us there. I think something went wrong with Tash's
attack-Andre mission. She would've been back by now, I know it."

The Horse Mage shrugged. "I don't know your friend, and I don't know this Andre. But I do know the Ender Lord, and I still remember the day he changed into a monster."

She looked down sadly at her wrist, where a black tattoo of a horse's head stood out against her skin. "He used to be a good man, the one who wanted peace between Realmers and Mobs. And, when that peace could not be achieved, he fought long and hard for the Realmers, and for us.

"Then he found his family dead, and the combined result of grief and rage drove him over the edge. Andre might've been good, once upon a time, just like the Ender Lord. But now he'll stand there and smile and call you friend, all while he's clutching a dagger, planning to cut your throat and burn the evidence."

The Horse Mage's face hardened, and I saw a seasoned, battle-worn warrior in those hazel-gold eyes, the muscled arms and the well-worn, scarred handle of her staff. "Always keep an eye out for Realmers like that, Lyta, and you might just survive this." She tightened her grip on her staff. "Pray that your friend has the same kind of wits."

I sighed through my nose. "I hope so. But fire against teleportation? I have a very bad feeling."
The Horse Mage looked like she was about to say something; but then she lifted her head, and a spark of life returned to her troubled, haunted eyes.
"We're here."

The barn was a massive building of brick, wood and stone, the sturdy weathered roof made entirely of spruce. The walls were tall and solid, fashioned from cheerful red bricks. The windows, placed near the top of the building, were surrounded by stone brick. A pair of large oak doors were stationed at the front, a gravel path surrounded by bright red flowers and ferns leading up to said door.