Chapter 5

Apparently, Amber had been alerted by Roran that the guards around the cage - yes, the mysterious cage of legend existed - detected change in Sura; he was becoming restless and impatient at one moment, then calm and eerily still at another, ceasing to shift or bubble at all.
They'd sent a call for aid, on the precaution that he might be trying to fight his way out.

They actually weren't too far from the village, so he'd sent Amber, his best warrior, to see if there was any disturbance worth worrying about. She got there via minecart, and turned up at the guard site, which had a building built around it as extra protection.

She turned up to find the doors ripped off their hinges, the cage empty of its red-eyed occupant, and the front bars blackened and burned yet not broken
All the guards were dead.

Racing to her cart and leaping into it, afraid she'd be too late to warn us all, Amber had passed mob after mob after mob, ranging from hissing Creepers to sheltering Zombies to even a couple of sinister Endermen.

The strange thing was, as she passed them by, they all keeled over and collapsed to the ground, either thrashing wildly and letting out inhuman screeches of pain or simply dropping without a sound, like a Skeleton without its spine.
Soon, every mob she saw had fallen, unconscious, to the grass below.

And they all had flickering letters crawling across their skin.

She'd been a few miles from the village when the earth rumbled, and the minecart stopped so suddenly she was hurled out of it onto the ground below.
The morning sky had been taken over by tendrils of darkness, and the sun had transformed into a pair of blazing red eyes that looked down upon the Overworld.

A voice had boomed from everywhere, like the sky and the earth themselves were speaking, and as Amber stood under the pitch black sky, Sura spoke.

He told the Overworld that he had finally escaped his prison, and to another, unreachable place where he would exact his vengeance upon the Overworld and anyone who dared to stop him. He promised that he would destroy the four Realmers who had trapped him three thousand years ago, then come for the Creators, and he would rise and be reborn under a new name - Virus.

Then the sky had faded back to normal, and those crimson-red eyes had melded together into the sun. Amber had sprinted the rest of the way, since her cart wouldn't budge and she didn't have time to get it moving.
She'd run into the castle to try and find Roran, to tell him about what she'd found, when the shadow-zombies attacked.
And now she was sitting at a library table in a secret underground room, looking over at us gravely like the end had already come.

We looked back at her, surprised and a little suspicious.
"I don't remember that," Loca said slowly, brow creased in thought. "Were you underground?" Amber asked curiously. "He was in the sky, after all."

We shook our heads in unison.
She frowned, concerned. "I've already heard reports from Roran that other villages across the Overworld heard the commotion, so it must be only you four who didn't hear it. "
Her frown deepened. "I wonder why..."

"Well, whatever the reason is," Ana said firmly, standing up and pushing back her chair. "It doesn't matter. We have to find this Realmer. Uhh... Darkidi. Uhh... sludge-thingy...? Whatever, you get the idea."

We all looked up at her, eyes widening and eyebrows being raised in disbelief.
"Umm, Ana?" Loca said tentatively, scooting back in his chair a little. "You do realise you want us to hunt down a three-thousand year old sludge-man who has powers strong enough to match the Creators, right? Like, all of them?"

She paused, thought about it for a second. "Well, when you put it like that..."
It was my turn to stand. "Also, why would you even want to track this thing down?" I spread my hands wide. "We're normal. We can handle weapons and build shelters, sure, but we're definitely not equipped to fight a 'god'."