Chapter 25

Lyta's POV

I was on the first floor with Ana, Amber and Tash, all sorting through our rations, when someone cleared their throat behind me. I spun around to find Andre standing there, dark purple eyes on me.

"I believe you have something of mine." He said politely, extending his hand. I raised my eyebrows. "And what would that be?" He looked at my sword sheath, and I blushed. "Right." I went to pull it out, but Tash motioned to me.

"Hold up." She glared at Andre. "How do I know you're not going to kill us with it once Lyta hands it over?" Andre sighed. "There's always going to be someone, isn't there?" But Tash didn't back down. "Don't try that on me, mutant. I don't feel guilt."

I sucked in my breath. "Tash, don't say that. He's a friend." She swung around to face me, and I was startled to see a fierce light in her orange eyes, and although she was no longer wearing her armour, she looked slightly intimidating.

"You don't even know him, Lyta. He's a mutant like us, but with the upper hand, and now we're going to accept him? Did I forget to mention that he tried to kill Amber? That he was most likely there to kill us?"

Amber held her hands up in a calming gesture. "It's o.k, Tash. He might've been an evil wanderer then, but he's fine now." Tash clenched her jaw. "But you're not a wanderer, are you, Andre?" He inclined his head to me. "I am not, Fire Born."

He turned to look at us in turn, eyes turning a dark, dull purple. "The people who captured me merged me with an enderman, and then sold me on to the highest bidder. That bidder happened to be a Lord, and the moment I heard his voice, I was his to control."

Ana raised an eyebrow. "And how exactly does that work?" He smiled crookedly. "I am part enderman, so there will always be that small part of me that wants to kill Realmers, to serve the Lord." He turned to Tash.

"There is a Lord, one for each mob. The one that controls me is the Ender Lord, a very powerful enderman with a Realmer's intelligence." Then he scratched his head. "What I would like to know is how you knew I was part of a gang."

"Not just a gang," She growled, "An army." Ana turned to stare at her. "What?" She pointed at Andre. "Show her your arm." He obliged, pulling up his sleeve to reveal a tattoo on his arm. It was of a heart, a Realmer's heart, but the veins were black and poisoned, the heart itself dark and rotting.

I shivered. "What the hell is that?" Andre looked at me sadly. "A mark to show that I'm an important warrior of that Army. That I've proved my worth." He lowered his head. "I am ashamed of what I've done, which is why I'm willing to tell you about our people - the Zombie Lord in particular. He's a tough general, believe me."

Tash snorted. "We chased him off in no time. He's a weakling." Andre shook his head. "That was the Zombie Lord's nephew that you fought. He asked to go fight those pesky Realmers, and borrowed his uncle's powers for a day."

"And?" Amber asked apprehensively. He shrugged. "He's probably lying dead in a ditch now, for failing 'The Lord'." He looked to Tash, who had gone still. "I only want to help you, Tash. Let me train you, teach you the full extent of your powers."

Her voice was quiet, neutral. "And why should I do that?" Andre took a step towards her. "Look, I know I did some terrible things. I wish I could take them back, but I can't. Now I'm cured, I can help you. Help all of you."

There was silence, which seemed to stretch for ages. Then Amber grinned. "This is great!" Tash turned to look at her questioningly, but said nothing. Amber gestured to Andre. "He can tell us about the mobs, where they attack, everything he knows. We can be prepared without them knowing!"