Chapter 15

I cringe as I hear her feet hit the floor. My body spins around and I see her, staring at me with bloodshot eyes and a slight smirk.

"You'll never escape," she laughs mischievously.

I slowly back away, and being to untie Hunter from behind me as the woman slowly walks towards me, her shoes stomping along the tiled floor. Click. Click. Her fingers barely touch the knife that hangs by her side, and I can tell she will use it when she's ready. I bite my lip as I finally untie Hunter. The ropes drop to the floor and I quickly grab Hunter and instantaneously break into a run, leaving the woman in shock.

She gaps as she follows behind, quickly catching up to me. My legs begin to feel weak and Hunter's limp body feels heavy. I take a few turns before dashing out the door and into a large field. I don't stop running until I no longer see the woman in sight.

I immediately drop to my knees, gasping for air. The hot and humid air causes me to sweat, and my clothes stick to my skin. Hunter's body rolls into the grass. Blood trickles down from his head and his eyes remain shut.

"Hunter, please wake up." Tears fill my waterline as I lightly shake him.

"Come on Hunter, please!"

I wait a few more seconds, and begin to feel hot tears rush down my cheeks when he doesn't answer. The sun beats down on both of us, and the air remains quiet. A fowl smell lingers in the air and I can't quite make out what it is. A dead animal? A dead body?! The thought of it makes me sick, along with the smell.

I slowly begin to rub Hunter's no longer rosy cheeks. I missed them.

"Please," I say in an almost whisper. My fingers begin to check around for a pulse, and my heart shatters when I find none.

"No no no! Please!" I shout.

My face turns red and I clench my fists together furiously. I begin to feel angry at the world, as if it wants me to suffer. Why me? Tears roll down my cheeks as I stare at Hunter's lifeless body. He's gone, and there's nothing I can do about it.