#explanation

-REAL LIFE-

Jensen was already at a table in the coffee shop, his leg bouncing nervously while one hand rested loosely around his cup when Kat arrived. She plopped down in the chair across from him with a scowl and crossed her arms angrily over her chest.

"So?" she spat.

"You sure you don't want to order something first?" Jensen asked nervously.

Kat raised an eyebrow at him, and he sighed, nodding his head in resignation.

"It was toward the end of season 4. Not quite to the finale, but getting there. Jared and Gen had been dating pretty steadily for a good chunk of the season and Jared was getting ready to take the next step forward. He went over to her place after filming one day to take her out to dinner. He was going to propose during dessert. But, uh, it didn't exactly work out that way..."

"Why not?"

"Because when he got to her place, she was in her room having sex with another guy."

"Oh..."

"He cares about you, Kat. More than he ever did for her. I think the whole deal with Aaron just makes him nervous because he knows you have more history together, and let's face it, the nicknames you have for each other make you guys sound super couple-y, not like besties."

Kat was silent, relaxing her posture a little.

"But that doesn't explain that text he sent me where he called me Gen. What did he mean, he 'thought we were past this'?"

"Well, obviously closer to the finale, he and Gen were spending a lot more time together for filming. I guess they started to mend their relationship a bit. It didn't last, though. Blake showed up on Gen's last day with a bouquet of flowers. Jared saw and got super pissed off. Practically the whole cast and crew heard them yelling at each other. I guess arguing with you about another guy triggered some flashbacks..."

Before Kat could respond, the door to the coffee shop opened again and two familiar faces walked in. Jared was talking in a low voice with Misha as they made their way over to an empty table.

"Let's get out of here," Kat muttered.

"You haven't even ordered yet," Jensen pointed out.

"I don't need coffee. Let's go, please."

Kat stood, leading the way out the door. Jensen followed at a much slower pace, glancing over at his friends at the other table. Jared had his back to him and didn't see, but Misha made brief eye contact with him. That one look said a thousand words. They had both been dealing with the drama between Jared and Kat the last couple weeks and they were both getting tired of it. When Misha turned his full focus back on the giant across from him, Jensen hurried out the door to catch up with Kat.