Thirteen: Tears & Goodbyes

NK walked underneath the midnight moon in the garden that expanded behind the Raizada Mansion. He heaved a sigh as his mind relaxed and reeled back into the past.

Being the youngest of the three siblings, he was always allowed to get everything his own way. His cheerful personality that came out like rays of sunshine didn't do anything but help him get through all the trivial troubles he used to get into as a kid.

After completing his bachelor's in photography and illustration, he didn't have anything at hand and his mother had decided to send him to India to his Masi who may be able to knock some sense of responsibility into him.

It indeed did do him some good. After about eighteen years, he was back at the place where his dreams of being someone great had started. He smiled to himself realizing how the house used to be and what his cousin's cousin had turned it into. A magnificent masterpiece.

He heaved a sigh and stopped in the middle of the lawn. Looking at the starry sky, he let himself fall back on the ground and simply lie on the grass. He had first met Arnav when they both were about five years old. Arnav didn't aspire to anything as a kid. He didn't know what he wanted to be when he would grow older but NK did. He wanted to be a photographer and capture images that would fill you with awe. Things didn't turn out as good as they could've. He wasn't the great man that Arnav was. He hadn't changed history or made a mark in it for himself.

He had then moved to Australia where chances of his dreams coming true were more than enough. Life had treated him nicely until he came back. He had met her, Khushi.

She was bright like him yet there was something about her that made her more intriguing than a sophisticated and classy woman. He liked her. He wanted her too. The smile on his face faded as the realization echoed inside him.

He sat up and looked around. He envied Arnav at times and his teasing name for him has helped him hide that fact. He stood up, brushing off the grass off him before walking back towards his room. It was time to go. Time to turn dreams into reality.

*

Akash walked in with his hand around Payal towards the dining area to only walk past and help Payal sit on the comfy chair that was placed by the living room. NK looked at the couple and smiled. His little brother had come a long way from not being able to talk to girls to actually be an expectant father.

"Morning Akash! Payal Bhabhi!" he broke off their trance with a jovial morning greeting.

"Keep your happiness to yourself NK. It's early for being an optimist." Arnav uttered coming out from behind and moving towards the dining area.

"What's up Nannav? Had a busy night?" he said winking.

"What are you talking about Nanhe ji! He was busy sleeping while I had to make sure that his children could calmly sleep." Khushi spoke taking a chair beside her husband.

"I thought you wanted me to go away," he replied complaining.

"Only because you weren't helping!" she retorted.

"Ok guys! Relax! it's only a few days until the kids will be settled into a routine." NK uttered.