Sixteen: The Wedding of the Year

"WHAT THE F**K!! YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!" Khushi closed one of her eyes, placed her palms on her ears, and pursed her lips as Arnav stood up from the recliner yelling. It was one of the few rare occasions he had not cared about the people around him and completed the statement after "What the–". His eyes moved towards his wife who dropped her hands and pretended her best to be just as shocked as him however after years together, it took him mere seconds to see through.

"Wait! Khushi knows? KHUSHI?" he spoke through the daze.

"ji...woh...I—" she stammered while doing her absolute best to not meet his eyes.

"I can't believe this!" his hands flew up to his forehead before raking through his hair, leaving gel stuck in his hand. "YOU KNEW! and YOU DIDN'T BOTHER TELLING ME!!!" he bellowed.

"Chotte, please! I begged her to not tell you!" Anjali stepped in between the two, "I made her swear off my life!"

He looked at his sister in anger. The last time he had felt this much anger fill inside of him, was when he had witnessed his ex-brother-in-law meticulously plan to harm his sister during his wedding festivities. The day he had kicked out that vile man was the day he had promised himself to never let a man of that stature ever wander around the premises of his house. Arnav heaved a deep breath and tried focusing on the fact that this man was not Shyam.

"—I can't believe this," he said a bit more quietly this time. "How long Di?" he uttered as his hand slid through his hair again and his jaws tightened trying to prepare for the worst.

"About a year—or maybe two," Anjali replied smiling calmly.

"Stop smiling!" He snapped at his sister

"Chotte, I am older than you. Don't forget that!" she snapped right back at him.

Khushi looked wide-eyed at both of them. She hadn't witnessed the siblings ever fight like this in the last six years of knowing both of them, or the five years of her marriage. "Arnav ji, she loves Nikhit ji!" she said hoping to ease the stare-off between the two.

"oh please, what do you know about love Khushi," he spoke without realizing what he had said which made Anjali laugh at their faces.

"Well, I married you didn't I?!" Khushi replied in the most obvious tone and crossed her arms while looking at him squarely.

"Yeah forgot that!" He mumbled sarcastically, "But it doesn't mean what both of you did was right!!!"

"Oh shut up Chotte! I am old enough to know what I am getting into. I didn't ask for your blessings. I am asking you not torment the person I am going to marry." Anjali chided

"Di!"

"No! You listen to me. You are not going to say anything to Nikhat ji until he comes over."

"Oh, so he's coming over as well!!" He added mockingly a the audacity of this man.

"This house doesn't just belong to you!" Anjali uttered walking out of her brother's room. Arnav looked baffled at his sister's retreating figure before turning towards his wife.

"I...the kids. I should see where they are." She stammered. "It's almost time for dinner."

"STOP RIGHT THERE." He gritted as calmly as he could.

She gulped before letting the determination sink in. If he was Arnav Singh Raizada, she was Khushi Kumari Gupta Singh Raizada. Panic returned as he softly moved towards her with anger seething inside him.

"Why." He asked.

The distance between them had physically vanished. She pursed her lips before putting a hand on his shoulder and indicating him to sit.