Seventeen: Brothers Estranged

Khushi picked up the phone that had been ringing inconsistently through the morning. She grumbled before curtly echoing a hello through her end of the phone, waiting for someone to say something.

"If you aren't going to say anything, then why are you wasting both of our times?" before she could continue on her tirade, a small horse voice echoed from the other hand.

"Bhai hain?"

"Bhai?" she looked at the phone.

"Arnav ji toh—" she stopped realizing that Akash had left with Arnav ji in the morning, "Who is this?"

"No, Akash Bhai. Is he there?" the voice asked, hesitant and urgent at the same time.

"Who is this?" she repeated.

"Is he not there?" the voice on the other end repeated. Khushi grew annoyed and was about to snap when she saw her husband and Akash walk in. "—Jija ji, there's a phone for you."

"Who is it?" Akash inquired.

"Dunno. Won't say." she handed him the phone and her attention shifted towards her husband who placed a kiss on her cheek once Akash's back was turned towards them.

It took Akash about five seconds to recognize the voice of the speaker.

"Bhai?"

"Why?" Akash said.

"Can I meet you?"

Akash hesitated before uttering a faint hum into the phone. He placed the phone down to turn around to the seemingly empty house echoing back Dhruv's laughter from their childhood. Despite being his younger and only brother, Akash had always been closer to Arnav than to Dhruv. Perhaps it had been the close age or the fact that since they were young, Dhruv couldn't sit still at all and was often only found around while being berated for his behavior by their mother or grandmother. As much as Akash had been a pinnacle of pride for the family, since the age of five, Dhruv had done everything he could to prove himself as worse as he could.

While Akash hadn't ever tried to understand why that could be, two years after their marriage Payal was quick to remark that maybe Dhruv was trying to consistently prove that he was his own individual and not just his rowdy younger brother. He sighed and walked towards his room, trying to find solace and peace in the world he had chosen to build for himself.

**

Akash stood outside a cafe waiting for a brother he was hoping he hadn't forgotten completely. The last time he had seen Dhruv was when he had just been able to grow a full beard. He was aware that Arnav had been able to track Dhruv down about a handful of years ago but had gone to his mother before requesting Dhruv to come back to the family. He had been unsure whether Arnav and Dhruv were still in touch.

With Dhruv being years younger, Dhruv always got along with their Australian cousin, NK more so than with Anjali and Arnav.

Akash paced around a bit outside the door when someone tapped his shoulder from behind. Dhruv Raizada was about two inches shorter than him and sported a lopsided smile. he had their mother's eyes and their father's hairline. Aakash couldn't help but chuckle at the thought. "You are losing hair!"

Dhruv stopped smiling. "You see me after all these years, and the first thing you say to me is that I'm losing hair!"

"You are, aren't you?" Akash quipped. For a moment it felt like no time had crossed between the brothers since their childhood.

"Yaar, don't ask!" He replied woefully. "Let's go inside?!"

Akash shook his head as the reality of their meeting sunk in and nodded, following his brother behind as they found a corner booth in the cafe. The two seated themselves across one another and ordered tea and coffee respectively once approached by the waiter. Dhruv twisted his fingers with nervousness, not knowing where to start from. He smiled uncomfortably at his brother and thanked the Lord for the waiter to come in just in time with their order.