xxi - the engagement celebration

Isabella

My eyes watched Stephanie sitting with the newly engaged couple and discussing their wedding. The parents were joyful while the couple seemed anxious. Victoria was constantly fidgeting with her ring that I assumed was the engagement one and Vernon just looked at the carpet on the floor.

Even without any experience, I knew that this was not supposed to be their reactions. Maybe they fought just after the proposal, or whatever. I don't care.

I stood up from the couch and went to breathe some fresh air at the backyard. The joyful atmosphere was suffocating me inside but there was no peace for me outside as well.

"What do you want now?" I asked Victoria even without looking at her. The scent of her perfume was enough to make me aware of her presence.

"I am engaged." She said, her voice gave away the impression that she was nervous. I couldn't help but look at her then.

"Isn't this what you want?" I asked. "Didn't you lie to him to get married?"

Victoria looked at me as if contemplating whether to answer me or not.

"I don't want him to find out." she said eventually.

"It's a lie Victoria, do you expect it to stay hidden forever?" I chuckled and turned around to look at the night sky. The wind was chilly, goosebumps were rising on my skin.

"I wouldn't be so worried if you were not getting so close to him," Victoria spoke, all evidence of nervousness gone.

"Getting close?" I looked at her once again in confusion. "What are you talking about?" There's no way she would know about my feelings yet.

"You are working with him now." She stated.

"I need money to get out of here. I don't have rich parents like you.* I answered. "And I'm not the one to steal my best friend's, rich man either." I taunted her.

"He was never your man." Her voice rose.

"He is the father of my child."

"But you never loved him."

"Yes, but I trusted you. You stole my identity to be with him." Every word slipped through my clenched teeth.

"Get out before I do something." I turned my back to her. My palm was itching to meet her cheek but I didn't want any attention on us now.

"Just stay away from him," Victoria said one last time before I heard her leave.

The cold breeze was working to calm my nerves down but the memories of me and Victoria were constantly playing in my mind. After running away from home, she was the one who took me in and became my best friend.

Because of her, I didn't give up. How could she do this to me?

Bringing me back to reality was the weight that was put on my shoulders. I looked at Tyler wrapping a blanket around me. "You'll catch a cold." He said.

"Thank you!" I mumbled. The warmth of the blanket was comforting. Physically and emotionally.

"I'm sorry I couldn't tell you earlier that I took up the job," I said to him,

"It's alright. I wasn't expecting you to continue working part-time for me." He joked.

"Did you wait for me?"

"I am still waiting." He answered. I looked at him confused but his eyes seemed sad for some reason. "I am right here," I said. He just smiled and looked away from me. "You are." He mumbled an answer.