viii - new place

Isabella

Isabella

The bell dinged above me when I pushed the door to the diner and let myself in. The atmosphere felt cozy with the noises of people chattering and clank of utensils with the aroma of food lurking over their heads. My stomach growled as I inhaled a sweet scent instantly knowing what I was going to order for dessert today. Spotting Sean who was waving at me I walked towards him to the booth made for two people.

"Hey!" I greeted him as I wrapped my arms around him. He greeted me the same and let me go to take his seat along with me. "When did you find this place?" I asked while hanging my handbag on the chair as my eyes briefly roamed around the place. "On my way to work. I took some croissants that were freshly baked and they were amazing!" Sean exclaimed with a grin. "Then my co-workers ordered lunch from here as well and when I tasted it I immediately knew I had to get you here for dinner." He added which made me chuckle.

"Let's order first, I'm starving." I said and picked up the menu to read the dishes that the diner served.

After ordering dinner I leaned against the comfortable chair and looked out of the window at the street that was now lit by street lamps under the dark night sky. The silence between Sean and me was comfortable. "Did you find a house?" Sean asked.

"I did look around, didn't find anything. I tried for a paying guest. The owner told me that she'll contact me." I replied.

"Izzy, how far are you?" Sean asked. Ever since me telling him that I'm pregnant at that café, we never talked about it but I knew he had a lot of questions which I should answer. He had helped me alot, this is the least I could do for him.

"A month." I replied. "Sean, I know you have questions. Ask them." I added. He was hesitant for a moment but asked anyway. "How did you get drunk and laid?"

"It was New Year's. Victoria dragged me to a party where I met him." I said, my eyes moving back to the glass window but my mind ran back to the party. It's been a month since that night, a month since I saw him. I don't know his face properly because of the dark, nor I had the guts to search him online and catch a glimpse of his face. I was afraid but I don't know of what, I was even afraid to know that 'what'.

"There you go, lost in your thoughts again." I heard Sean say in amusement followed by a chuckle. It was then I realised that the food has already arrived at our table. "I'm sorry." I mumbled and picked up the fork to eat the spaghetti with grilled chicken.

"You asked me something?" I asked while twirling the spaghetti around my fork using the hallow spoon as the ground. "I asked who is this guy? Did you know him before?" Sean asked. "No!" I lied. Just like I did with my best friend although she later came to know the truth but I was sure Sean will never happen to know.