CHAPTER V.

┌──────────────────┐
𝟗:𝟐𝟎 𝐚𝐦. 𝐈𝐥𝐥𝐲𝐧 𝐌𝐚𝐧𝐨𝐫.
𝐎𝐬 𝐊𝐞𝐫𝐯𝐨, 𝐑𝐚𝐯𝐤𝐚.
༻✧༺
└──────────────────┘

𝕿here were probably more flowers in this garden than in all of Ketterdam's shops combined. Nessa retained a sneeze as her and Tamar sneaked behind the highest tower, the sun rising projecting golden rays on the stone walls. They both stopped under the window, at least ten meters above their heads, and launched their ascension cables, as the wall was so polished that finding grips to climb was impossible.

The two girls started to climb after testing the solidity of the cable, elevating themselves further into the air, meter after meter. They soon reached the small window, which was half open, probably to let air refresh the room. These nobles were probably expecting everything but someone breaking in their stronghold ; this egotistical carelessness would only make the task easier.

Nessa glanced inside of the room that she practically knew by heart after spending three days observing it. The sun was up, and so it was only a matter of minutes before the servant brought Lady Anastasia her breakfast.

Indeed, they only had to wait a few seconds before a soft knocking sounded at the door.

"Enter !" A high-pitched voice responded from the bathroom.

"Breakfast, my lady." The servant said, pushing a small trolley on which various types of food had been installed : pancakes with honey and fresh strawberries, a plate of fruits, another with so many sweet snacks that Nessa could not even recognize them, and a large cup of coffee.

"Just leave it near the desk, Elise." The voice said again, as Nessa and Tamar put themselves against each side of the window, trying to breath as scarcely as possible. "Can you come and help me lace the dress ?"

"Of course, my lady."

The servant left the main room to go help her mistress and Tamar nodded towards Nessa, who did not lose a second. She unlocked the cable attached to her belt and slid through the window just like Inej taught her, taking a vial out of her pocket. Inside were a few herbs crushed with water to help them dissolve. Nessa emptied the content of the vial in the coffee as silently as possible. It would take a good look to notice them, but based on what she had seen these past days, the lady was just as carefree and naïve as she was pretty.

As soon as she heard movement in the room, she retreated towards the window. In the panic, she could not find the hook in which attack the cable, and the steps in her direction were getting closer. She jumped out of the window and seized the cable in her bare hands, her weight pulling her down bringing so much tension on her left hand that it cut right open. Trying not to wince, she clenched her teeth on a gasp of pain, forcing herself to remain silent and to pay attention to the conversation inside.

"Eat and drink well, my lady. This shall be an eventful journey."

"My heart beats fast at the idea of crossing the Fold, and beats faster still at the thought of meeting his Majesty in person! I heard he is most handsome."

"I do not doubt it, my lady."

Tamar had a better view of the inside than Nessa, and so the latter just waited for confirmation that the lady drank the coffee, as blood started to spread along the cable. The gardens were still empty, but soon, the personnel will be out to organize the travel, and will surely be most surprised to see two girls hanging outside of their mistress' window. As soon as Tamar nodded, they began to climb down, Nessa grunting every time her palm was in contact with the cable.