CHAPTER X.

┌──────────────────┐
𝟗:𝟓𝟔 𝐩.𝐦. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐏𝐚𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞.
𝐎𝐬 𝐀𝐥𝐭𝐚, 𝐑𝐚𝐯𝐤𝐚.
༻✧༺
└──────────────────┘

            𝕹essa stayed like this for minutes, her heart pounding in her chest, quickly rising and falling. She could hear her mother's voice, almost physically see her, hands on her hips and lips pursed, like she always was when Nessa did something bad.

"What, by all the Saints, what THAT, Inessa Volkov ?! You flinched before a man, let him turn your own weapon against you !"

"I'm sorry, Mama." Nessa whispered, looking down on the ground, at her dagger reflecting the dim lights of the torches. "It won't happen again."

"It better not." Her mother's voice snapped. "Well ? What will be your next move ?"

"I have to get out of here. Escape."

"Then what are you waiting for ? Go, Volkovia. Survive."

Nessa didn't hesitate further and grabbed her dagger, putting it back in its holder and getting out of the tunnels. She just had to find Inej, a hard task given the fact that the Darkling had probably already warned the whole guard to be on the lookout for her. Impossible to get back to the main room, then. She needed to reach her chambers, and Nina. Find a way to get out of the Palace.

I will find you, Darkling. She thought, her lips pursed in hatred. And I will drive my knife in your heart. 

However, the way to the rest of the palace was only accessible from the ball room. She would have to be as discreet and fast as possible. She exited the corridor, and went back in direction of the ball room. The noise grew louder as she drew close, staying near the walls. The door leading to the rest of the oulala ce was only a few meters away from the staircase. She was aiming straight for it, quiet as a mouse, going right under the guards' nose, when she made the mistake of glancing into the ball room, and saw a mix of black and gold waltzing in perfect harmony under admirative whispers.

She clenched her teeth and stopped abruptly, an indescribable feeling of anger overcoming her, and all she wanted was to rip off this sublime dress and tear apart this blonde beauty.

"Lady Illyn !" One of the guards called, approaching her.

Think. Fast. Doesn't seem hostile. Wait until he's close. Stop his heart. Run. Now smile and play dumb.

"Yes, officer ?" She smiled in her most innocent voice, straightening up and her hands at the ready, hidden behind her back.

"His Majesty said you weren't feeling well. Shall I provide you with an escort back to your rooms ?"

It took a tremendous effort for her to hide her surprise and respond naturally. "Yes, um...I am indeed feeling a little dizzy. My maiden, Elise, has the key to my rooms."

"Yorvirk !" The guard ordered one of his comrades. "Go fetch the lady's maiden."

"I'll take the lady to her rooms, I know where they are." Another voice intervened from behind the first guard. "I escorted her to the ball earlier."

"Good, Fahey. Report back as soon as possible."

"Yes, officer." Jesper said with an exemplary military salute, as the other guard came back with Nina, who looked confused on why she was here.

"Could you please inform my brother, Lord Illyn ?" Nessa asked, taking a sweet and worried face. "I would not want him to look for me everywhere."

"His Majesty has taken upon himself to warn him personally, my lady." The guard answered, before bowing and returning to his post.