CHAPTER IX.

┌──────────────────┐
𝟗:𝟎𝟐 𝐩.𝐦. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐏𝐚𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞.
𝐎𝐬 𝐀𝐥𝐭𝐚, 𝐑𝐚𝐯𝐤𝐚.
༻✧༺
└──────────────────┘

           ❝𝕿hat sounds delightful, Lord Marad." Nessa said for what must have been the tenth time as the Zemini noble rambled over and over about his jurda plantations.

No matter how boring he was, Nessa couldn't deny that the noble was quite dashing — the precise reason why she chose him. His dark skin contrasted with his incredible green eyes, and his silver suit couldn't be anything but admired. The danse was about to end, and the Darkling seemed to have completely forgotten Nessa, even though she was certain of having felt his gaze on her a few time during the waltz.

The danse ended, followed by curtsies from the partners. "You are quite the skillful dancer, my lord." Nessa complimented him with a seductive eyelashes batting. "It compensated well for my poor waltz."

"Don't underestimate yourself, Lady Anastasia." The lord smiled, offering her an arm. "The pleasure of your company was unequaled. And..." He lowered his voice as they were going away from the crowd. "Nothing prevents us from finding a...quieter corner."

Perfect.

All Zeminis were decidedly seductors and playboys. And at the time, just what she needed.

"Nothing might please me more, my lord." She smiled with an air of conspiracy.

They exited the crowd and walked up the stairs, the lord saluting the guards who let them pass with a nod. As they were arriving at the top of the stairs, were Jesper left Nessa earlier, a shadow suddenly swiped before them, making them abruptly stop; Nessa had to contain a victorious smile.

Bingo.

"Y-Your Majesty." Lord Marad stuttered, immediately slinking into a bow so low that his head almost touched the ground. Nessa slipped into a curtsy, trying not to sneer despite the overwhelming presence of the Darkling.

"Lord Marad." He said in a glacial voice, his eyes darting sharply on the noble. "Might I ask where you are taking Lady Illyn ?"

"W-we were j-just..."

The Darkling raised an eyebrow before his poor attempt as an explanation.

"Surely the lord of Os Kervo wouldn't want his daughter meddling with married nobles."

At that, Nessa put on her best act of the offended lady, opening her mouth and turning to the lord, scandalized (as she was not perfectly aware that the lord had a wife and with three kids).

"Married ?! How dare you insult me that way ! I am not some peasant girl you can bring to your bed ! Do you have even the slightest idea of who my father is ?"

"No, Lady Anastasia, please..." The poor noble protested before being stopped by a freezing look from the Darkling.

"You're dismissed."

After many babbled excuses and curtsies, the stammered noble got back to the ball, head low, passing between the Grisha guard that followed the king.

"You have my gratitude, Your Majesty." Nessa said respectfully, inclining her head. "If you'll excuse me, I should better get back with the other guests."

That was a risky bluff, and for a moment, as she pretendedly got down the stairs, she feared it might not work, and a part of her hoped for it.

But then, she was stopped by the deep voice she dreaded and yearned at the same time.