Eight

Owen

"Have you been talking to Fitz lately? He seemed out of his head this morning," I told Athena.

It was weird how we were roommates this year and he barely hung around us anymore these days. It was like he blipped.

"Maybe he has other friends aside from us. Let him come crawling back when he wants to," she says, looking unbothered by the whole situation as she calmly sipped her latte and smiled at me.

Fitz had been a constant presence last year for both Athena and I and only the three of us had hung out before. Him being MIA all of the sudden made me highly suspicious. He doesn't just go away without leaving a note or a text or something.

Was there something he was not telling us about?

------

Fitz

I'm gonna be single for life.

I get it, I'm not exactly a hidden smartypants like Athena or an oblivious girl magnet like Owen, but how the hell am I supposed to find someone I am willing to be in a relationship with?

When I was in high school, I kept telling myself that maybe I would find someone in college who would actually see something in me. This was usually how I justified all those times girls turned me down or something. Turns out, nobody still likes me, even after I tried my hardest being the one to initiate conversations with girls. Until now, I wasn't sure whether they found me weird or charming.

"Fitz, do you still have my maroon sweater?" Owen asked.

This sophomore year, Owen and I are roommates.

Athena was fine with it anyway and had been pushing her empowered female agenda of not being tied to any man. She already took the first step, and that was by not being roomies with Owen.

We had just finished setting up our room, which was unsurprisingly not a matchbox, like my first room here. This place was even larger than a regular 2-person room and had its own bathroom. With a remote.

I could get used to this.

I looked through some of the clothes I've worn over the past few days and searched for the damn sweater.

"Hmm. I don't know. I think so?" I said, still debating whether the sweater I wore 3 days ago was mine or his.

"Wherever it is, please return it soon. It belongs to one of my brothers. He just found out I smuggled some of his sweaters here from home." He said, as he neatly folded some blankets by the end of his bed and pressed them down.

He could work in Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

"The one you swapped with a nest of baby ducks? That you put in his room?" I asked.