Chapter 10 - Suspicious

"Hold on Caylee, I'm almost done with the wires." Aubbie said before I could rush out of the room, on to the next task. I was just so eager to move along and get them over with. After all, there WAS someone who wanted us all dead.

I hadn't seen Willie outside of our room, not after Clover was ejected. I felt bad for him really.

It's just... all too sudden. We never saw it coming...

"Done!" Aubbie declared proudly, but then realized how loud she'd been and shrunk a little. "Sorry."

"It's fine." I said. "I have my next task in Navigation. Let's go there."

Aubbie walked faster than me, which was surprising, considering how I had longer legs than most people. I had to speed walk to keep up with her.

At Navigation, Aubbie stood off to the side, presenting the wires like it was some sort of cool new invention.

"All yours." She said, seeming more happy than usual.

"I haven't seen you this happy." I said, wondering if I might get an explanation why.

"It's because... I've never really had someone who is nice to me. Nobody really acknowledges my existence, to be honest. I guess... you're my first real friend."

Aubbie heard what she said and quickly added, "I-I mean, if you want to be friends... "

"Of course." I said right after. "We can team up, and do tasks together. The killer can't get to us that way."

I saw a small spark in Aubbie's eyes.

"Yeah, we'd be unreachable. So... I guess we're partners now."

"Friends." I corrected her, smiling.

Our tasks seemed to fly by after that, we got nearly all if them done. While Aubbie was doing sheilds, Specs came up to me and began a conversation.

"Since we're roommates, I suppose we should get to know each other a bit more. I haven't seen you for a bit, besides the meeting... when Clover... "

Specs trailed off. He seemed lost in his words, as if he was trying to find the most peaceful way to say she was dead.

"Since she was ejected." Aubbie finished for him, intensely focused on her task.

Specs narrowed his eyes at her, clearly suspecting her. "Mhm." He made the sound in his throat. He realized I was staring at him blankly, and snapped back to his normal, I'm-excited-to-get-to-know-you face he once had. He pulled me aside. "Sorry. I don't really want to jump to conclusions here. It's just... I don't trust her." Specs whispers the last part, pushing up his glasses.

I took a moment to stare at Aubbie, who was nearly finished with her task. "I understand that feeling." I whispered back, remembering that feeling of certainty when Clover was ejected. "Anyone could be the killer here, even the ones you trust."

What are you thinking? You trust Aubbie. She wouldn't ever kill somebody. Or would she...?

Stop thinking these thoughts, stupid brain.

I was going to say something back to Specs, but then he was gone. Just like that.

"Done with that." Aubbie said, walking back towards me. "On to our next task?"

"Yeah." I said, only half listning. I was too focused on what Specs had said to me. What if his suspicions were right?

What if I'm walking around with a killer?