Chapter 18

"I think I'm going to be sick." Anna clutches her stomach and jolts out of bed toward the bathroom. She makes it just in time to empty her stomach in the toilet bowl.

"Anna? Are you okay?" Steve gets out of bed to follow her. It had been two months since Bucky had died and Anna had spent most nights sleeping in his bed. Neither of them really wanted to be alone.

Anna comes out of the bathroom with a groan. "I'm fine. But maybe I should go see Dr. Cho just in case."

Steve brushes some hair out of her face and strokes her cheek. God, he was so in love with her was all he could think. They had been taking things slow because neither of them were really ready yet. He didn't want to feel like a replacement for Bucky and she didn't either.

***

"Is it okay if he stays? Or would you rather talk alone?" Dr. Cho points to Steve and then looks back at Anna.

Anna looks at Steve with a shrug, smiling back at Dr. Cho. "He can stay. What's going on?"

Dr. Cho hesitates for a moment. "Well, you don't have a fever. When was your last period?"

Steve looks between them confused, his eyes falling on Anna's. "You came from the Red Room, I thought that they—"

Anna puts her hand up to stop him as she shakes her head slightly. "I was younger than the other girls, too young for that. I was always on birth control. But when Bucky disappeared, I never really thought about it. The night before he died, we—" Anna can't finish as she starts crying, her hand going up to her chest.

Steve grabs her hand, swallowing hard. "So, you're telling us she is pregnant?"

Dr. Cho leaves and comes back with an ultrasound machine. "Yes. Let's have a look." Steve looks at Anna as she looks back at him, scared and confused. Dr. Cho breaks the silence as they both look back at the screen. "Yup looks to be about 8 weeks. If you look here," She points at the screen. "Right here is the baby." She flips a switch on the monitor. "And here is the heartbeat."

Anna looks at Steve, her eyes wide as her heart thumps rapidly in her chest. "I'm pregnant!" He smiles down at her, grabbing her hand to kiss her knuckles.

"Wait, look here." Dr. Cho draws their attention back to the screen. "Twins. You're having two babies." Dr. Cho wipes off Anna's stomach with a towel as the room falls silent. "I'll give you guys a moment."

Anna stands up after a long silence of staring at the screen. "Steve? Don't tell anyone. Not yet. I... I don't know what I'm going to do yet."

"What do you mean what you're going to do?" Steve grabs her arm as she turns to leave, registering what she meant. "I know I'm old fashioned, but..."

Anna rips her arm out of his grip, stepping back from him. "I just need some time. Okay? This is a lot. And you are not the father, so you don't get an opinion." She knows she just verbally punched him in the gut, but she couldn't deal with it at that moment as she turned to rush out of the room, leaving him standing alone staring at the ground.

***

Anna is sitting on the table on the roof looking out on the compound when she hears Tony. She knows everyone's walks by the way they sound. "What do you want?"

Tony Stark walks into her vision. "Now is that any way to greet dear old dad?"

Anna rolls her eyes, not looking at him. "I know why you are here, and please don't say what I think you are going to say. It isn't appropriate."

"I know. But with everything that has happened, maybe it would help. I promise I'll keep it small."

Anna groans, shaking her head. "Dad!"