Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Akari

When school ends, Rio comes to me and suggests we go out for some desserts. She pats my shoulder and with complete fake sympathy in her eyes, says "Poor you. You fall victim to Karma on the first day." It sounds more like a teasing than a consolation. Well, that's how she rolls. I've gotten used to it. Megu is the less teasing and more stern kind. She is almost going to chide him for doing that to me but I stop her.

"No worries. I won't let him get me," I reassure her. Teasing and playing pranks on people is probably a way of how Karma interacts with people. However I am sure I don't want to fall victim into any of his shenanigans in the future. Even though he will be my neighbour for the entire school year. I sigh.

After the desserts, I go straight home. I live in a tiny apartment in the upper district area of the town. Sounds high-end, but the security there is lacking. Recently there are bully cases going around there. I should have find a more secure area, but my allowance is barely enough for this apartment. I used to live with my uncle since my parents' death, but I want to be independent so he gave me an allowance for me to live outside. Besides, living in a huge mansion with my uncle alone seemed empty.

All these thoughts go through my mind I barely register the presence of strangers that approach me from behind. I turn around and see three bulky-looking high school students with mean looks. They have piercings over their mouths, ears and noses which make them look more like ruffians instead.

"Look boss," points one who has his hair dyed blond. "A cute little middle school student."

The one in the middle, who has green hair that reached his shoulders, snickers. He eyes me. "What's a Kunugigaoka Junior High rich girl doing here?"

The one to his right laughs hysterically. He has the most piercings over his face; the most prominent one was a gold ring that goes right through his nostrils like a bull's nose ring. "Look, cutie, why don't we have a talk right around the corner. Get to know each other."

I eye them and sigh. I feel no urge to reason with ruffians. Even though I am a pacifist, sometimes I'll still resort to violence in order to avoid myself from getting hurt. I drop my bag to the floor gently and withheld a battle-ready tae-kwondo stance. Both of my hands are projected before my chest and my legs open wider to get a stable base.

I am ready.

I thought I was.

My vision is blurring. I look down at my hands and find them shaking. I am quickly losing my stance and my legs falter as they backed away step by step. I don't know what wis happening until it hit me. Body intelligence. My body automatically senses a danger, a fear they could not overcome and now trying to protect me from harm. It isn't just that.

What my entire body is doing means I am not fully capable of defending myself even though I am a tae-kwondo black belt. My entire conscious hasn't healed from that incident, even after a year. I lose confidence in my skills, in my own. Apparently I tried to trick my useless brain into thinking that I am ready to face anything head-on.

I'm not ready yet. Hahaha...

Now I might be hurt because of self-deception. Or worse, killed. I should have run when I had the chance. I should have known.

The ruffians laugh at my predicament. Their voices are like an omen. I can't move, can't run, paralyzed. My eyes widen in horror as the middle one reach out for my collar with his beefy hands. But his action stop mid-air. His eyes don't focus on me, but they dart to something behind me. I turn my head slightly to the right and only see a very prominent colour of red in my blurred vision. I blink my eyes and realize it is Akabane Karma, who walkstoward the ruffian with most piercings on his face.