Chapter 26 - Summer Tales Pt. 3

6.

Karma

The irritated boy lies on his bed and watches the ceiling fan whirls slowly. He is bored. Usually he would pester the brunette but she isn't here right now. She has gone to Osaka with her friends.

Thus, leaving poor, lonely Karma behind at the empty household.

"GAH!"

He buries his face in a pillow. What am I supposed to do without her?

His stomach grumbles. He needs to feed it so that he can live for the next three days till Akari returns. Lazily he dresses himself casually and brings his heavy laden legs to a ramen shop near his house. Akari brought him there last time and he admits it is quite good.

A very familiar looking man stands by the entrance of the store with his back facing Karma. He has seen that bulky tall figure before yet he couldn't recall when and where.

As the man turns around after waving goodbye to the ramen chef, Karma catches the graying hair on top of the man's skull. He has a bright smile and despite the graying hair, wrinkles barely dwell on his face, indicating he isn't really that old. Muscles protrude from under his beige-coloured shirt.

"I'll see you later, Himura-san!" shouts the chef from within the shop.

Himura.

Ah. He knows who this guy is now.

The man stops before leaving, glancing at Karma after sensing he has been watched. With the smallest of smiles, the man approaches Karma. "Hmm... Are you Akari-chan's classmate?"

Karma blinks. "Umm yes... H-himura-san." He is Akari's uncle. They met briefly that day when Akari disappeared.

Himura chuckles. "Ahh you're that red-haired boy who ran off after Akari and knew where she is when no one else does." He flashes an innocent smile. "I wonder how you'd know...."

As Karma would interpret it, it is never an innocent smile. He knows that this man probably knew more about him than he expected. The man is teasing him.

Let's just hope he doesn't try to do something to me after I teased Akari so many times. Karma instinctively glances at the man's muscles. He has a skinny, lanky figure, that albeit he excels in fighting, the chances of him winning over muscled Himura are slim. The man must have went through vigorous training to earn those muscles and judging from his deep eyes of wisdom, Himura is certainly observing Karma right now and is much more experienced in fighting.

Not to mention that Himura is Akari's guardian -- someone he should not mess with considering if he wants to be with Akari.

"It's just luck," Karma replies, trying to mask his jittery nerves. His heart thunders in his ears.

This must be how Akari feels when she meets Karma's parents.

"So... You're that special person of hers..." Himura cups his chin as he scans the boy from head to toe.

Special? Aww... Karma will be teasing her for this.

"Physically, you look good with that red hair. She must really like red... Umm..."

"My name is Akabane Karma, sir."

He lets out a hearty laugh. "This is the first time someone called me 'sir'! You're good, kid. Just call me Himura-san." He pauses. "By the way, no offense, you're a little bit too... lanky for my taste. Do you..."

Karma gulps.

"...do you have what it takes to be with Akari-chan and protect her at all costs?"