Chapter 37

Akari

Ouch.

Ouch ouch ouch.

Why am I feeling so painful?

Did something happen to me?

Why is everything around me so dark and black?

Am I supposed to be here?

Akari!

Where is everyone?

Akari!

Am I supposed to be alone?

AKARI!

......is that you, Karma?

*****

When I open my eyes again, I see red. Red as in the colour of raging fire, of fresh blood, and also of Karma's hair. I am pretty sure it is him, but his face is blurred and I find it hard to distinguish his features.

The pain finally surges in every part of my body, especially my head. It throbs so badly as if flames are burning it to crisp. It feels like thousands of needles are piercing through my skin when I try to move my limbs. I want to speak but my energy is drained.

"It's okay, it's okay," Karma's voice coaxes me. "Everything's okay."

"She's awake?" I hear another voice. It sounds like Megu. But even if her face is so close to mine, I still cannot distinguish her features either.

"Nurufufu, Akari-san's awake?" Korosensei says. I see his round yellow face but not his beady eyes.

"Aka-chan!" Rio's sharp tone draws my attention. Yet again, I can only recognize her by her blonde hair, not her face.

"Are you alright?" "We need to call the doctor." "Sensei has brought you a lot of delicious food!"

I finally mustered enough energy to say one short sentence. "I... I can't see you guys properly."

They look at each other. There is only silence until Korosensei speaks up. "Akari-chan, it's okay. The doctor says the concussion to your brain might cause some temporary sight or hearing degrading. It will come back to you a few days later." His tentacle gently touches my forehead. "No fever. Nakamura-san, can you please check if the doctor is coming?"

Rio gives him an OK sign and rushes out of the room.

"I'll go get some juice," Megu says and leaves the room.

"Sensei will go heat up the food for you." Korosensei leaves without using his Mach 20 speed.

The room becomes very silent.

I recognize Karma only by his red hair. He sits beside the bed and stares at me with his golden orbs. His hand squeezes my left hand as he lets out an exasperated sigh.

"Karma?" I mutter. I got into trouble again, making him worry for the umpteenth time. When he doesn't say anything, anxiety gnaws me from within. "Karma. Are you alright?"

"Yeah. Rest, love. Food will come soon," he says as he caresses my hair.

For the next few minutes till the others return, something is wrong with the atmosphere as it turns cold and silent. It feels like there's a thick wall barrier between the both of us.

The horrible concoction of anxiety and fear mix within me as Karma suddenly becomes cold.

*****

The doctor says I have to stay in the hospital for a few more days for further inspection. I've been in a short coma for the past three days, right after Reaper was caught. Korosensei came to visit me every time he was free and told me everything that happened during my coma. My classmates have been frequenting my room as well, though not as frequent as the Mach 20 super octopus. He came with lots of food every time to replace the bland hospital food.