Chapter 12

Isogai

Isogai is an ikemen, according to his friends. The whole class-the whole school knows he is an ikemen because he is a nice guy with great personalities. Plus he has a handsome face that makes a lot of girls, including those from the main campus, to fall in love with him. Occasionally he would receive love letters from them. Because he is a nice guy and usually bashful about romance, he seldom rejects them. In fact, he doesn't have the guts to break their hearts.

Even if his heart has been stolen by one.

Okumura Akari has become his sole reason to look forward to school every day. Before he met her, assassination is his motivation that impels him forward. He also believes he has to study hard to improve his family's situation. He knows well that weighing his family and her on a balance means prioritizing less his main objectives in this school-to get good grades, enter a good and affordable high school, graduate from a prestigious university, entering the society with prestige and become one on the top of the social ladder.

But he cannot abandon any side on that balance. His family is his priority. However, now, the girl with dark brown hair and sky blue eyes became his priority too.

Isogai puts a lot of effort in getting close to her. He offers himself to teach her. He invites her for lunch. He says jokes so that he could hear her laughter. He didn't think of advancing their relationship because he is comfortable with the present. As long as he gets to see her, gets to be close to her, gets to see her smile, he is content.

Whatever he does in school, he must be careful. He must be composed and quick-witted. Isogai needs to undergo countless contemplation before he does something-in fact, anything. He needs to think of countermeasures if his plans go haywire. This is his rules for survival in the school and in the society in the remote future because if there is an iota of mistake, his family will suffer the consequences. His family is already in a dire situation where finance isn't their luxury. Isogai cannot bear to burden his mother because of his mistakes. For once, the school found out he worked part-time and had him demoted into 3E. He could see his future shattering into pieces. But Korosensei's presence changed everything. Isogai became stronger in physical and academic terms under his teachings. It dawned on him that 3E is his last chance that God gave him. He cannot mess it up anymore.

However, the day he broke his own rules is when a new instructor comes to teach them in replacement for Karasuma-sensei. When he sees Akari on the ground, injured, yet still standing against the man that is twice her size, he snaps. His body moves before he realizes it, and he takes the full brunt of the attack launched at her.

The pain is unbearable. The onslaught makes him feel like he has just crossed the line into hell. He understands if this keeps up, he'll end up severely injured, hospitalized, possibly crippled for life-or worse, death itself. Worst case scenario, his family will lose him-the sole pillar that supports its survival.

Isogai couldn't-wouldn't move away because he cannot bear to see the girl he loves injured right in front of him.

*****

Akari

The first impression Takaoka Akira gives me is he is a person who has serious personality issues.