Chapter 1- Far from the comfort zone

The lukewarm water is making me relaxed. I lean my head on the edge of the ceramic bathtub, closing my eyes with the cosy feeling. I feel like I'm enveloped with a soothing cloud with that serene comfort. 

Finally, I'm going back to my motherland, South Korea.

All these three years I was living with my dad in Los Angeles. It was tough to live without my mom. I missed her so much. I do love my dad, but I wanted to see my mother who was living with my stepdad after the divorce.

Life wasn't very pretty for us. They kept arguing and fighting. Every day, it was getting only worse than the previous day. Eventually, it lead to the divorce of my parents, putting a full stop to our family life.

I heave a sigh, evoking the thorns of the past.

Even with all that bickering, I was glad that we were together as a family back then. Well, I guess everything is happening for a reason. Now she's currently living with my stepfather, happily, while I was living with my father in Los Angeles. He took me to America, his workplace after their divorce, and took care of me. It took me three years to convince him to let me visit my mother. At last, he gave me permission,

No, I'm not leaving my father, I'm only paying a visit to South Korea. I just miss her so much even she calls me every day,

I get out from the bathtub, sliding the towel from the hanger. I wipe the moisture of my skin, moping off the dripping water droplets from my body. I wear the towel around my body, up to my chest, tugging the corner of it tightly in the other end before I grab another towel to dry my hair.

I look at the mirror that is reflecting my figure from it.

Have I changed a lot? Will she recognise me?

I wasn't a girl who hold back things I want to do because of anyone's desires or commands. I live with my own passion, I do whatever I want, yet deep inside there is a somewhat agony that I can't get rid of.

I start ruffling my hair, knowing the time is running fast. I have to make it to the airport before seven to catch the flight. I suddenly catch the glimpse of my shoulder blades which are half exposed, from the reflection of the mirror. I turn at an angle, making my left shoulder more visible.

That mark, my father said that I had it when I was born.

I trace my finger along the dark colour mark drawn in my pale skin. It looks like a flower. When I was small, it looked only like a birthmark. But as I grow up, it formed into a flower, more like a blooming one, the petals weren't fully unfold. It brought somewhat beauty to me.

I jog down after getting ready, to meet my father who was waiting for me to drop me at the airport. I wear my thick jacket upon my clothes before I get in the front seat of the car. Even though it was hotter than usual, I know Korea will be colder. Dad deposits my luggage in the dicky before acquainting me.

He is silent than usual.

I glance at him. The beam of the street lights is falling to his face while he is driving. His hand is gripping tight on the steering wheel, not even taking a glimpse at me. I can say that his heart is throbbing with the pain of letting me go.

He loves me so much, he loves me more than anyone. My father is the hero of my world. Even he seems cold and quiet, he cares so much for me, his only daughter. Ever since mom and dad went apart, he made sure that he gave me every opulence I need. He had enough money to give me a luxurious life. But, we can't buy everything for money, can we?

I place my palm on top of his other hand,  "Are you mad at me?" I asked.

He heaved a sigh.

Dad gazed at me, stretching his lips to a smile. It is a sad smile. He squeezes my hand, "Why would I, Hmm?" I look straight at the road, taking my eyes away from him. I can't look at him trying to hide his emotions from a smile. I gulped the lump that was inside my throat. He takes his hand from mine and grips the wheel from both hands. He starts talking,

"Look Y/n, don't ever think that I will be mad at you, I want you to have everything you want," his voice was low-key shattering while speaking. "It was my fault that you didn't have a great childhood-"

"What's gone is gone now, no need to talk about it father," I interrupt him before he talks further. I look at the sky. It is filled with dark clouds. Looks like a storm is going to come soon. People are in a big hurry to go home back from work as they don't want to face the storm. Dad nods as he acquiesces, heaving a soft sigh.

"You are right, it's no use after all," he said in a quiet voice. He clears his throat and heeds his attention to the long line of vehicles that are heading in the same direction as us. "Looks like there are lots of people who want to catch the flight," he changed the topic. I'm glad he did cause I was nearing to shed tears. We talk about random things while driving to the airport.

As expected, there is a huge crowd inside the airport. We still have two hours left to the flight. Dad gestures me to follow him as he spotted two empty seats near the big glassy walls. I thump the bags beside me as I sit down. Dad looks around, not getting seated near me. He zips his jacket up as the air-conditioned terminal was way much colder than outside. He glances at me,

"Y/n, wait here sweetheart, I'll buy something to drink, okay?" he places his palm on my shoulder as he flexes his head down to me. I nod at him, wrapping my arms around me with the chill that is giving me goosebumps. He disappears from near me, stepping towards the mini bar aside.

I look out from the big glass. I feel the vibrations as the planes boom when they take off. The female voice keeps announcing the departures and arrivals, making me somewhat anxious with the buzz around. It's my first time flying alone, I'm nervous.

Far away in the sky, silver lines of lighting light up the dark thick layer of stormy clouds. I can hear the thunder rumbling even I was inside the hall.

"Yah, they still let the flights go even the storm is gonna start soon," I turned from the window as I heard a male voice speaking in Korean. Two men are standing few steps away from me. They seem like passengers waiting to catch the same flight as me. I guess that they are Koreans who migrated to America for some reason. I keep listening to them. The other man nudges him from his elbow,

"Aish, what do even know about these things, come on, let's go somewhere a little warmer, I'm freezing," his partner ignores the other one's statement and slightly pushes him to move. Both of them leave without further conversations.

Soon, dad approaches me with two cups in his hands with a smile. He sits near me, handing me one iced americano. I glanced at him, taking it from him.

"It was the last two," he chuckles as he sees my surprised figure. He knows that it's my all time favourite. We both silently sip without affording to talk.

"How long are you planning to stay?" he suddenly asks, making me choke on my drink. I cough, as he pats my back. "I'm sorry," he says in a repudiated tone.

"It's ok," I keep the empty cup on the floor and turn to him. He wiped his face like he was sweating. My eyes go soft as I espy the nervousness that is jittering inside him.

"I won't stay for long dad, maybe two or three weeks," he looks guilty as I say.

"You can stay as long as you want y/n, don't mind my question-" I hug him, enfolding my arms around him.

"I can't stay for long without you dad," I snuggle into his chest. I feel his hand on my back, caressing to comfort me.

"I will be waiting for my baby," he softly says, breathing into me. I stay in his embrace leaning my head on him cause he is my safe place, always.

But, soon I'll be far from my comfort zone.

So guys that's the first chapter. Umm, how was it? Little soft right. So y'all excited for the next chaps? Lol let's see 🌝 more fun is coming ahead.

Love you ❤️

Stay gold ✨