Expectations Gap

You had just finished up your experiment for the day, and it's already dusk. You apologised profusely to the laboratory assistant for holding him back, he was really nice about it, even offered to give you a ride home. But of course you declined, since he wasn't someone you know too well.

Your switched on your handphone, and swiped to your messages. And expectantly finds his message under the contact, Sunshine.

"B4, lobby F."

Your heartrate began to surge despite of yourself. You know that you were the one that jump started this ambiguous arrangement, but you can't help wanting more.

Rolling up your white laboratory coat, and packing it into its ziplock bag. You heaved your oversized, corduroy tote bag onto your shoulder, and made your way to the carpark.

His BMW SUV rode up towards you, and you quickly hopped on and he drove on without a word. As usual, greetings were set aside like a ritualised affair.

Taking the usual, unfrequented back exit of the campus, the car soon roll along the highway.

His hand drifted reflexively towards your thigh, claiming it his, intimately. Like a harlot, you felt the heat between your legs begin to climb. Cursing yourself internally, as you struggle to contain the wildfire within your core.

He shot you a brief glance, taking in your sullen face. You could tell that he could barely fend off his mirth, making you blush insanely red.

"You can go ahead and laugh... Sir."

Your tone is childish, seething with apparent annoyance, as you recount on your day.

He started with a mild snort and it soon turned into rumbling, unreserved guffaws, much to your dismay.

Feeling affronted, you began to accuse him for his lack of clarity in the standard of procedure guidelines given in his class.

"You should have stated the ice bath right at the beginning! I was in a panic when the effervescent reaction began. And all I could see in the next step was to cool the solution down!"

He laughed and observed your disgruntled expression once more, and nodded his head to humour you.

"Yes, I'm sorry for not being clear right from the start, Miss L/n... But isn't it quite obvious that you can't put ice within a solution? We are not mixologists combining cocktails in the laboratory, are we?"

You groaned miserably as you buried your face into your palms, feeling thoroughly stupid over the most bimbotic moment of your life.

"Now you'll remember me as that bimbotic student of your cohort... It was so stupid."

You felt his large hand ruffling your head, feeling even more offended by the way he treats you like a child.

Sighing softly, you dropped your hands to your tote bag that's resting on your lap.

"What am I to you, Mr Rengoku?"

You fiddled with the corduroy lines as you asked him to define your month long relationship with him. Your meet ups with him had been either in that toilet cubicle or if time allows, he would pick you up and head to a secluded carpark.

Your question was met with an uncomfortable silence that exacerbated the loneliness that you feel in your chest. Tears pricked your eyes as you recognise the familiar road towards the sequestered carpark near to the national park.

You could feel knots in your stomach, as he reversed into the lot.

His big hand engulfs yours and gave it a warm squeeze, making you wanting to believe that this will lead to something fruitful again.