🔺 CHAPTER FOUR 🔺

"I had to..because if there was anyone I wanted to see get to the finish line, it would be you...even if it meant having to watch you die in the end." Sang-woo said, not making eye contact with the slightly older male as he prepared the tea in two separate mugs.

Those words alone allowed Gi-hun to piece almost everything together; when Sang-woo questioned him picking the umbrella and then proceeding to call to him afterwards, Sang-woo choosing Ali as a partner instead, the look he gave him when he went for vest #1 for the glass stepping stones. They were all such subtle hints, and yet there they were. Sang-woo was torn between helping him or letting him die and in the end, they both were alive. Sang-woo came and sat down with Gi-hun, handing him a mug full of tea.

More silence, except for the sounds of them sipping hot tea. Gi-hun held onto his mug, his hands warming up within seconds. Not a single word was said between the two.

After finishing with their tea, Sang-woo willingly took both their mugs to the kitchen and began to wash up. Letting out a yawn, Gi-hun adjusted one of the pillows on the couch before picking up the blanket hanging over the back of the couch.

"I'll take the couch." Sang-woo said suddenly, making Gi-hun look up at him.

"It's your apartment. Just makes more sense for me to sleep on the couch." He replied with a shrug.

"You're a guest. When was the last time you slept on something comfortable?" Sang-woo asked, folding his arms.

"I could ask you the same thing. Have you forgotten already that we were in the same place?" Gi-hun said, fluffing the pillow again. Sang-woo remained silent. The older man stopped what he was doing and thought for a brief moment, "why don't we do it like we used to...and share it?" He asked, Sang-woo raising both his eyebrows.

"Are you sure?" He asked, his emotions starting to get the best of him as his heart beat faster.

"Sure, it'll be like old times. At least then we won't be bickering all night." Gi-hun said, folding up the blanket and getting up, heading over to where he assumed was Sang-woo's room.

Sang-woo sighed nervously before following behind Gi-hun, who was already on one side of the bed and staring at the ceiling. Sang-woo turned the light off and climbed onto the other side of the bed, being sure not to invade too much of Gi-hun's personal space. He also stared up at the ceiling. Neither of the two men made any effort to sleep. For as long as they'd been free, they had to remind themselves that no one else was with them and that no one was going to try and hurt them. They had to remind themselves that they didn't have to hurt each other.

"Really takes you back, huh?" Gi-hun finally spoke in a low tone. Sang-woo glanced over at him before nodding slightly. He tensed up when Gi-hun suddenly turned on his side, facing him. "The last time we did this was before you left for SNU." He said as Sang-woo just continued to stare at the ceiling.

Sang-woo gently balled up his hands into fists before turning on his side as well and facing the slightly older male. They just stared at each other for a bit as Sang-woo debated whether or not he should say what he was thinking. He sighed, Gi-hun furrowing his eyebrows in concern.

"What's bothering you?" Sang-woo asked suddenly in almost a whisper.

"Eh?" Gi-hun was a bit confused by the question. Sang-woo let out another light sigh.

"I don't want you to pretend to be okay. It's okay to not be okay. Don't put on an act for the sake of everyone else. Don't put on an act for my sake." Sang-woo replied, staring into the other's eyes. Gi-hun averted his gaze, his hair hiding a bit of his face.

"I want those games to end. Permanently. I don't want others to go through what we did....I at least wanna try and avenge the people we've lost." He said in a whisper, his voice breaking a bit. Sang-woo looked down.

"Do you hate me?" He suddenly asked, catching Gi-hun looked back up, his eyes widened slightly. Sang-woo looked back up and just stared. "You didn't kill me..but that can't stop you from hating me even the slightest bit. Our fight back there was your chance to get revenge against me."

Gi-hun and Sang-woo just stared at each other as countless moments went by. The sound of the ticking clock seemed to pick up speed with each passing second. Sang-woo sat up, desperately looking down at Gi-hun for an answer.

"Answer me, Seong Gi-hun." He demanded as the said male slowly sat up as well, unable to tear his eyes away from the younger one.

More silence. More tension. More pain arising within their hearts; until Gi-hun grabbed the other's shirt and pulled him in, softly connecting their lips. Sang-woo's eyes widened as Gi-hun's slowly shifted from the shirt collar to the younger's neck, carefully pulling him closer while Sang-woo closed his eyes and gently snaked his arm around the other's waist.

A light gasp escaped Sang-woo's lips as his eyes shot open. He could feel his face heat up as he looked beside him. Gi-hun slept on his side with his back facing Sang-woo. He was fast asleep. Sang-woo lightly sighed, closing his eyes in an attempt to try and calm himself. He stared up at the ceiling once again. Their talk was real, that much he knew. Though if he was honest, he was a bit disappointed that the last bit wasn't real. Clearly they both fell asleep without realizing.

Sang-woo looked towards his nightstand. The clock read 3:17 am. He quietly got up and went to the bathroom, shutting the door and looking at himself in the mirror. In his eyes, there was still blood on his face. Their blood was still on his face and on his hands. He never got his answer. Did Gi-hun hate him? Or was that whole bit part of the dream as well?

Entering his room once again, he went to the side Gi-hun slept on and kneeled in front of him, silently admiring his sleeping face. He stared for a while, practically zoning out as he got lost in thought and lost in the undeniable beauty of the man who lay in front of him. Why did he feel so strongly all of a sudden?

Exhaling and deciding to go back to sleep — or try — he carefully moved several strands of hair from Gi-hun's face and softly planted a kiss on his cheek. He stood up and went to his own side, laying down and scooting ever so carefully towards the other. His heart was racing and his face burned once again but he wrapped his arms around the other and pulled him close to his chest, burying his face in his long hair. His scent was intoxicating..it drove the younger crazy.

'Just like old times...'

To Be Continued...🔺

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This chapter was fun to write. ❤️ k bye lol.
Also sorry this one was kinda short 😅🤍