⭐️ CHAPTER 21 ⭐️

"He's waking up." Gi-hun heard a faint voice say. He groaned as he eyes creeped open, squinting from the amount of light he was immediately presented with. His head was throbbing and he felt sick.

Opening his eyes more, he saw a nurse and a couple of police officers standing before him. At first he was confused but then he remembered what he saw prior to that moment; Sang-woo got arrested and Seok-woo was badly hurt, probably barely holding on to life by now.

Gi-hun sat up slowly with the help of the nurse and she left the room shortly after, leaving Gi-hun alone with the officers. One of them, a female, pulled up a chair and sat beside him.

"Are you alright, sir?" She asked. Her voice was kind and gentle, which set Gi-hun a little more at ease. His heart began to race from the overall fact that he was about to be interrogated by the police in a hospital bed.

"I'm not sure.." Gi-hun answered truthfully, looking down at his hands.

"That's understandable. We just want to ask you a few questions. Is that alright with you?" The officer asked, pulling out a notepad. Gi-hun sighed.

"I need to see Sang-woo, and Seok-woo..." he replied. He didn't have time for questions that he wouldn't know how to answer.

"I understand. And you'll get that chance if you'll answer our questions." The officer replied, placing a hand on Gi-hun's shoulder as a means of comforting him. Gi-hun just sighed and nodded, figuring he should get it over with as quickly as possible.

"Alright." That was all he could say.

"Excellent. So it seems you know the culprit and the victim well enough to call them by name. What is your relationship with them?"

"Well, Seok-woo is a friend of mine and Sang-woo is..my ex boyfriend." Gi-hun replied, the officer nodding her head as she took notes.

"Okay now can you tell me about when Seok-woo was attacked?" She asked.

"I wasn't there for it. Didn't even know it happened." Gi-hun said immediately after. The room fell silent as the officer seemed to get confused. She looked at her partner for a brief moment before looking back at Gi-hun.

"The phone call you made-.."

"I didn't make that call. I couldn't even find my phone this morning. Someone had to have stolen it and made that call on their own. Honest, I had to call my daughter from a pay phone this morning." He explained, looking into the officer's eyes. The confusion was very obvious as she looked at her partner once again.

"Are you aware of Cho Sang-woo's past crimes? Have you been hiding him all this time by any chance?" Her partner, a male, asked with his arms folded. Gi-hun looked further up to meet his gaze.

He knew better than to lie.

"Yes. I have. But please understand, he would've killed himself if I hadn't. I can't bear losing him." Gi-hun replied, practically begging the officer not to penalize him too bad.

"Hm...well, thank you Seong Gi-hun. Seok-woo will be in the room beside yours. We'll be discussing our findings outside."

Gi-hun watched closely as the police officers left the room. He exhaled, still unable to really take everything in. It all happened so fast that he couldn't quite bring himself to believe that any of it was real. His heart was running a marathon and it was aching in the meantime. Somehow he felt regretful, felt that it was all his fault.

Perhaps it was Karma for spending time with Seok-woo.

- SQUID GAME: GAME OVER -