Chapter Five

MILO'S POV:

I was sitting alone with (y/n), mainly away from everyone. "Milo...you sure you don't want to sit with them? They won't bite. Well...maybe Mole."

"Oh- yeah yeah. U-unless they want us to sit over there." I went back to my book. I heard her sigh. I glanced up to see her hugging her knees, and staring at the fire.

Sweet saw this too and turned towards everyone. "You know. We've been pretty tough on them."

"Yeah you're right. Hey Milo, Rose, why don't you come sit with us?"

(Y/n) stood up quickly and walked over. I carefully got up with my mush for food and my book. "Really? You don't mind?"

"Nah- park it here."

I sat down next to Audrey. "Gee, this is great. I'm honored to be-" a fart behind me was heard, along with a few giggles from Mole. A few giggles turned into a laughing fit, making himself fall backwards onto his back.

"MOLE!"

"Ah- forgive me, I couldn't resist!"

(Y/n) sat next to Vinny and tried to warm up. Vinny glanced at her and gave her his jacket. She quietly thanked him. I frowned in jealousy and read my book.

"Do you ever close that book?" Audrey asked, giving her 'food' to Mole.

"Yeah. Must've read it dozens of times." Sweet said.

I sighed. "I know. I know, but it doesn't make sense. See, the passage. The shepherd seems to be leading up to something. The uh...heart of Atlantis."

"It could be the power source the legends refer to." (Y/n) said, stepping towards me and sitting down, looking at the book.

I nodded. "I agree, but then...it just cuts off. It's almost like there's a missing page."

Vinny leaned back. "Kids...relax, we don't get paid overtime."

I tossed my food in the fire. "I know, I just get carried away sometimes. But that's just it, right? I-I mean- the discovery, teamwork, adventure. Unless...maybe you're just in it for the money."

Almost everyone replied, "money."

(Y/n) whispered in my ear. "For the truth." I softly smiled at her. I groaned and held my neck.

"Something wrong with your neck?" Sweet asked, standing up behind me. "Huh? Oh yeah- probably just slept on it funny-"

Sweet grabbed my head and cracked my neck. "Better?"

I rubbed it for a second then looked up at him. "Yeah how did you-"

"An Arapaho medicine man."

I smiled. "Get out of here."

"Born and raised with them, Father was an army medic. He settled down Kansas Territory after he met my mother." He showed me a picture of his dad, mom, and baby him. "No kidding?"

"Nope. I gut a sheepskin from Howard U, and a bearskin from old Iron Cloud." He pulls out a necklace with a bear claw, a couple of feathers, and a small jewel from his hometown. "Halfway through medical school, I was drafted. One day, I'm studying gross anatomy in the classroom, next, I'm sewing Rough Riders on San Juan Hill."

                                           ~~~

"Aren't you going to pitch your tent?" Vinny asked, looking at me.

"Uh..I did." I crawled out of my- well 'tent'. He sighed and shoved me out of the way. He started to make my tent for me. I nervously smiled. "I guess I'm still a little rusty at this. I haven't gone camping since..." I glanced at (y/n) then looked away. "Well since my grandpa took me."

"I never got to meet your abuelo. What was he like?" Audrey said, laying in her tent.

"Where do I start? He was like a father to me. My parents died when I was little, and he took me in." I glanced at (y/n) again, who was in her tent and listening to me. I smiled softly.

"You've been making goo goo eyes at her this entire trip." Audrey said, smiling.

I blushed and laid in my tent. "I-I haven't!"

"You have." Sweet confirmed, fixing his tent.

"Okay so I knew her in my childhood, is that bad?"

"So she's a childhood crush?" Vinny said, making sure my tent stayed up.

"F-friend. Childhood friend." I looked at her again. She was blushing as red as I was, but looking down. I started to chuckle.

"What?" Audrey asked.

"I was just thinking. One time, when I was 8, we were hiking along the stream, and I saw something shining in the water. It was a genuine arrowhead. It wasn't until I was older that I realized the arrowhead was just-"

(Y/n) interrupted me with a smile. "A broken piece of rock that was shaped like that because of the water. I was on that hike too, Milo."

"That is so cute!" Mole said, hugging his mole plushie. 

I looked at Audrey. "Say, Audrey, eh- no offense, but how did a team become the chief mechanic of a multimillion dollar expedition?"

Audrey smiled. "I took this job when papa retired, but he always wanted sons, right? One to run his shop, and one to be a middleweight boxing champion, but he got my sister and me instead."

"So what happened to your sister?"

"Oh she's 24, and with a shot at the title next month. Anyway, I'm saving up so my papi and I can open another shop."

Mrs. Packard walked past us with a newspaper under her arm. I looked up at her. "Forget your pj's Mrs. P?"

"I sleep in the nude."

Sweet threw me and (y/n) a pair of blindfolds. "You're gonna want a pair of these. She sleepwalks."

I cringed, and (y/n) laughed at my reaction.

"As far as me goes, I just like to blow things up." Vinny said, covering his eyes with the blindfold.

Sweet pulled up on his blindfold. "Come on, Vinny. Tell the kids the truth." He let go of the blindfold, making it smack Vinny in the face. Vinny sat up and frowned at him. "My family owned a flower shop, we'd sell roses, carnations, baby's breath, you name it."

(Y/n) rested her head against her arms while laying down, listening to Vinny.

"One day, I'm making 3 dozen corsages for this prom, you know, the one you put on your wrist." He pointed to his wrist. "I guess there was a leak next door of gas or what. BOOM. No more Chinese laundry. Blew me right through the front window."

"Wow.."

"But it was like a sign from God.." He lit a match, staring at it. "I found myself that boom."

Mole dug behind our tents, grunting and laughing. I looked at Sweet, and (y/n) asked, "So...what's Mole's story?"

"Trust me on this one. You don't wanna know. Audrey-" Sweet pointed at her. "Don't tell him. You shouldn't have told me, but you did, and now I'm telling YOU-" He pointed at (y/n). "You don't wanna know." He grabbed the lantern that was around us and blew out the flame for the night.