• 14 •

bitter family reunion.

2:30 p.m.
•••

"are you ready for this?" george asks, handing dream his backpack, he packed 3 days worth of clothes in it; "do i have a choice?" he says, his voice slightly shaky.

george gives him a sympathetic look, "i can go with you.. if you want." he says, pulling dream into a hug, dream melts into it, his body goes limp, he closes his eyes and tries not to cry for the 5th time today. "i should go by myself." he finally says, pulling away from the hug and taking the backpack from george's grasp, george holds onto the backpack still, "you'll be okay." he says, letting go of the backpack so that dream can carry it.

dream walks out of his house, patches and george stand at the front door, "dream." george calls out, dream looks behind him, patches is nuzzling george's ankle. "i'm serious about coming if you need me." george says, dream smiles and nods at him "take care of patches for me." he says, heading for the drivers side of his car.

the road has never felt so lonely.
the road has never been so open to him.

dream looks to the left of his dashboard, a neon green cat plushie lays next to a white blob bobble head.

dream smiles to himself, he isn't alone this time. he knows where he's going after this.

no sidewalk to call his home. just a house to call his own.