• 16 •

mother of mine.

4:00 p.m.

•••

it's been an hour since dream got here.

it's been an hour since his father passed.

it's been 30 minutes since they took his lifeless body to the morgue where he then will be picked up by a funeral home and cremated like he had wished.

his mother hasn't said a word to him, they're sitting outside of the hospital garden, sulking.

dream clears his throat, "how long have you known." he says, his mother clears her throat aswell, going slightly stiff. "a year ago we discovered that he had pancreatic cancer." his mother says, her normally honey etched voice sounds like it's been poisoned with cinnamon.

"why didn't you guys tell me?" dream says, voice going limp and sad.

"we didn't know if you hated us, clay. you had every reason to hate us, so we lived with the consequences of our actions."

all this time they were holding themselves accountable.

"it was stage 3." she continues to talk about his father's cause of death, "there was nothing we could have done but pray and hope." she says.

"this is how the river flows." dream comments.

dreams mother smiles slightly, a tear falls down from her eye.

"we knew it was coming. we knew it wasn't a 'soon' but we knew it was an 'eventually'." his mother says, dream puts his arm around his mothers shoulders, she leans into her son for comfort.

"it doesn't hurt as bad as i thought, considering that we both had accepted it for what it was, but it still stings." she says, taking a shaky breath in.

"i know mom, it's understandable. you guys loved each other." dream says, hoping that he can comfort the mother that once comforted him.

"i'm so sorry clay." she says, pulling away from dream and taking his hands into hers, "i shouldn't have let him done it." she says looking into her sons eyes.

her eyes haven't changed, dream thinks to himself.

"it's okay mom, i forgive you. if you didn't do what you did i wouldn't be in such a good position in life." he says, remembering all the good things that came from him getting kicked out.

"the river wanted this to happen." dream says, smiling at his mother.

"and it lead me to amazing people i'm proud to call friends." he says, smiling at his mother who doesn't look like a stranger to him anymore.

__________
A/N:

hi my loves!

i hope you're all doing well!!!

very sorry about the late updates :<

- your author