Chapter 2

Part Two

Opening the door to school, I sigh heavily. I’m not exactly dreading the day ahead, but not looking forward to it. There really isn’t anything to look forward TO. Ever since my best friend Mia moved to a town an hour away, I haven’t exactly had luck in making friends. Try no luck at all. Mia is, and has been my only friend for as long as I can remember. She was always pushing me to try and make other friends too, she is the confident one, the one that you felt like you could do anything with. And I tried making friends, for a while.

Easier said than done though. She moved away in August, and it’s now January 31st. I have yet to make one additional friend at this school. Apparently, in a world of designer labels and Jersey Shore, nobody really cares about the girl wearing old rocker t-shirts and dork glassses that plays video games and writes.

Making my way to my locker, I look around and it feels as if I am walking down the hall in one of those stereotypical teen shows. Everyone sure dresses well enough for it to be so. I see the random jock and his cheerleading bimbo of a girlfriend making out. After scooting around them, I almost get rammed into by the Dungeons and Dragons nerds chasing after each other with their plastic wands and wizards hats. I shake my head and continue on, embarrassed to call myself a nerd. I mean, I know that I’m a nerd. In fact, I embrace my nerddom, but I am not that much of one. I swear, these people thought that we lived in the 90210. But we don’t. This is suburban Detroit.

Finally reaching my locker, I adjust my glasses, dial my combination and pull out my books. For the first time since I woke up, I feel somewhat at peace. As if my day is going to go by without a hitch. Sadly, my feeling lasted for only a few more seconds before one of my classmates, Quinn Jacobson, screams at the top of her lungs, greeting her finely-dressed posse.

"Ohmygod! Can you guys believe the One Direction concert is Saturday already? I am sooooo excited!!" She says, fixing her already perfect hair. Quinn is what I would picture Barbie to look like in real life. Hair that could compete with any model on a hair commercial, bright green eyes, teeth as white as liquid paper, well developed….you get the picture. Although what’s on the inside isn’t as nearly as beautiful as what everyone sees on the outside.

 "I know right? And you are so lucky to have scored meet and greet tickets!" One of her cronies, whose name ends in “ie” or something else as equally cutsie squeals.

"Yeah! Maybe you'll get one of the guys to go on a date with you!" Another winks at Quinn, adjusting her shirt that looks ironically similar to the one that Quinn was wearing.

"Pftt, well duh, that is my whole goal. Once they feast their eyes on me, they won't be able to resist." Quinn says, spritzing a little bit of her hundred-dollar perfume on herself.

I snort, wondering how many times she rehearsed that in the mirror this morning. I’m sure about ten thousand other girls are thinking the exact same thing as she is. I quickly glance at my own One Direction poster, feeling a twinge of longing in my heart for a split second before shutting the feeling out, slamming my locker and heading to class..

----------------------

The final bell rings for school, and I am half-tempted to yell “FREEEDOM!” as everyone starts to head out the door, talking about their weekend plans. Knowing that I would be burned like a witch in Salem, I decide against my little declaration, stretch my arms and grab my books before heading out the door.

Captain America could have yelled freedom and everyone would have yelled it right along with him, I thought to myself as I started walking out the door.

Yes, but you aren’t Captain America, now, are you? A little voice in the back of my head retorted sarcastically. Scowling, I trek to the sidewalk.