➝ just when i thought it was over

~ 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖎𝖓𝖘 ~

I tried to calm Eren down with a soft gaze, but apparently seeing me in this state was infuriating for him. He was weak - I could tell - but he nonetheless tried to pull at the chains. His fingers were all cut off and were bandaged up and the other end of the cuffs. I noticed that no steam was coming out of his wounds.

He grunted through the gag that was around his mouth but eventually slowed to a stop when his efforts were futile. I could only send him a sorrowful expression.

I then realized that my neck hurt, but I couldn't feel any cuts or blood in the area. A hickey. I guessed, knowing full-well I was captured for that very reason.

Suddenly, footsteps echoed around the room as a figure entered. Her presence made the both of us immediately freeze, concerned as to why she was here, not in chains, and wearing a strangely religious dress.

Historia?!

Coming in from behind her was a large man, shorter than her, but clearly older. Their conversation was incomprehensible due to their whispering voices and their distance away from me, but I could make out some sort of agreement to walk up towards Eren.

I was confused, and worried for my friend. "Oi!" I said through my gag. "Zond toush eem!" I said, as they ascended the stairs. Historia seemed to acknowledge my presence for the first time, a look of surprise washing over her face as she saw me.

The man just told her to ignore me. After hesitating, she followed the man up the crystal stairs, but not before shooting me a sympathetic look. I cringed and looked away from her.

They both reached out their hands to touch Eren's back. There seemed to be a momentary flash of electricity that passed between the three of them before Historia opened her eyes again with a horrified expression.

Eren had a similar expression on his face, his eyes wide and mouth open. His arms seemed to tremble in their fixed position and he hung his head, not letting any tears fall from his face.

What the fuck happened?! I thought, concerned for both my friends' terror.

They spoke for a while, Historia held in the man's embrace. Ahh, so he's her father. Rod Reiss. I thought, trying to fit pieces of what I was seeing together, my jaw clenching.

Suddenly there were loud footsteps entering the room. I tried to turn my head from its locked position to see who it was. "Oi oi oi oi oi oi!!!" The voice was familiar to me, but I couldn't make out the person's face. He hadn't seemed to notice my presence as I was tucked away in a corner of the cavern.

The person continued. "What the hell are you guys blabbering about in here?! I hope you know a bunch of shit's going on outside."

I gasped. Was the coup d'etat successful? I thought, my head filling with hopes.

I couldn't hear the rest of the conversation, but Rod sent the man to leave the place, an expression of tension and concern washing over his face. I wondered what their conversation was about until one of my hands slipped free.

What?! I gasped, confused. My right hand was freed from its cuff and only my left was tied up. I could move around more freely and flailed around trying to get someone's attention.

Unfortunately no one was around to see me. I struggled to pull my other hand out of the tight metal, to no avail, having it only dig more into my already bruised skin.

-----3rd person pov

"I wonder..." Hange thought aloud, looking at Levi. "How is it that you lived with Kenny the Ripper but know almost nothing about him?"