➝ buch der vergangenheit und zukunft

- book of the past and future -

~ 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖎𝖓𝖘 ~

-----3rd person pov

Eren didn't hesitate to pull the objects from the base of the drawer out and lay them on a free space on the bureau. "It's a journal." He said, confusedly. He placed a hand gently onto the dusty cover, hesitant to open it.

Then Mikasa placed a hand over his, reassuring him that whatever lay in that book, they would be experiencing it together. She sent him a soft smile and he exhaled sharply, smiling back.

Elliot's heart pulled painfully at the interaction - she missed the feeling. Love. She shook her head to come back to reality.

Eren pulled the cover open and out slipped a piece of paper. It seemed a portrait of a family. "A drawing?" Levi questioned, picking it up and examining it.

"No." Hange said, taking it from his hand. "It looks too realistic for that." Elliot nodded in agreement.

The lilac-haired girl then squinted. "Wait, there's... writing behind it?"

"Yeah..." Mikasa agreed. "It actually looks like Jaeger-sensei's handwriting." Hange hummed in question and flipped the paper over. Her eyes widened at the text before she huffed and read it aloud.

This image is not a drawing. This the result of a process that captures a subject by catching the photons of light and fixing it on a specific paper - it is called a photograph.

Everyone's jaws dropped in astonishment. Is that even possible? Hange thought, in awe at the scientific explanation behind it. How is it that we had never thought of this?

"Continue." Levi gestured, snapping the woman out of her daze.

She nodded. "Right. Sorry..."

I come from outside the walls where humanity continues to prosper. Men are far from having been eradicated by tita...

Hange trailed off, unable to continue. She just stared at the picture, too shocked to speak. No one questioned her silence as they were just as shocked to hear this news.

What the fuck?! Elliot thought, holding back from spewing out cuss words. Jaeger-sensei was not from... here? We aren't the only humans out there?!

Levi sucked in a shaky breath. He looked down at his hands - they were trembling slightly, he noticed - and his vision started to spot with black. He grimaced, holding back pained tears.

He was right. Erwin... you were right.

Hange made a sound that seemed like a mix between confusion and frustration before continuing to read.

I hope this notebook will fall into allied hands.

-----flashback [several years ago]

Birds called as the church bell tolled 10 in the morning. People bustled around the internment zone, eager to meet their friends, or go to work. Arm bands of cheap silk wrapped around everyone's right arm, a sign of their cursed heritage.

"Come on, Faye." The boy said, clutching tightly to the younger girl's hand. "It's fine." He could feel her hand trembling in his, clammy with nervousness.

He couldn't say anything different about his own. They were beaded with anxious sweat, slightly shaking in the fear that the 2 of them would be caught. With great courage, they passed the metal gate of the internment zone, their excitement getting the better of them.