Prologue

Thanks for bringing me through this mess Sam and Mads <3

**********************

-5 years prior-

The needle pierced through her skin, as the liquid was pressed into her system. Fire rushed through her veins, burning her from the inside. Her own screaming sounded alien to her.

Through the haze of pain, she heard a familiar voice saying, "Still not dead, I see."

"Vitals are stable," another voice said.

Someone grabbed her by the hair and pushed her head upwards. Tears filled her vision, scattering the light and blurring the face of the man in front of her.

Panting, she begged them to finally kill her, but the words never left her mouth.

"You just don't want to die, do you?" the man said, letting go of her hair and letting her head fall to her chest.

Please... She begged and pleaded, but they didn't hear her and never listened.

"Report," the voice ordered.

The rim of her vision turned black, lulling her into a false safety.

"She is able to absorb the serum far better than any other subject...," the voices grew distinct, as her mind slipped into welcomed unconsciousness, finally relaxing into the numb state where the pain won't reach her.

"...Only affects living things... instant death...", the voices broke through her consciousness. "...Unable to control..."

Her eyes fluttered, as her mind tried to focus. It was one of those rare moments when there was no pain, no feeling at all. Just those voices. She wanted to know what they were talking about, but the voices suddenly stopped, and when she opened her eyes, she saw the shocked face of a man that was turning into flakes of dust and ash.