Chapter 17

It was way past midnight and the house lay in comforting silence. Liv still had trouble falling asleep, haunted by the nightmares of her past and the faces of those whose lives she had taken. The revelation from the encounter with Sharon unsettled her even further. She knew they'd go after her eventually. It still shook her to the core, hearing Sharon say it. All her memories came flooding back into her mind.

Liv stood in the kitchen, her hand around a glass of whisky. She was deep in her thoughts when James approached her. Watching him stride towards her, she couldn't help herself but admire the man in front of her. There was something about this man she couldn't quite grasp that made her want him in ways she wasn't able to describe.

"I hate it when he touches you," he rasped, his lips grazing over her auricle, sending shivers down her spine. Putting his hands on either side, he caged her against the kitchen counter. Her stomach fluttered. James knew exactly how to distract her from her miserable thoughts.

"You are jealous," she whispered. Every nerve in her body focused on how close he was, focused on how the heat of his body radiated into her own.

"If it wasn't for you, I would have torn his head off the second he laid his hand on you," he rasped.

"A bit dramatic, don't you think?" she whispered, not trusting her voice.

He let go of the counter and wrapped his arms around her, giving her the feeling of being at home. His left hand cupped her shoulder while he wrapped his right around her throat, right under her jaw, feeling her quickened pulse under his fingertips. He dipped his head to kiss the crook of her neck, sending delicious shivers down her spine. Liv leaned her head back against his shoulder, relaxing into his body.

"I've missed this," he mumbled against her shoulder.

She knew that James didn't mean since their last time upstairs. He was referring to the lost years that they hadn't spent together.

"I didn't," she huffed, eyes closed and a smile on her face.

"Liar," he rasped, pressing his hips against her rear, coaxing out a small gasp from her.

James stretched her neck and turned it slightly. His lips grazed over hers, testing for any resistance. When she didn't stop him, he deepened the kiss, stealing her air. He still felt the jealousy in the pit of his stomach, driving him insane. Mixed with the fear of losing her to A.I.M., James wanted to erase her memory of any other man's touch and replace it with the memories of him. It was a very selfish thing to do. He needed her.

"I want you to be mine," he growled into her ear, parting their kiss.

Liv chuckled. "And if I don't want to?" she mocked, her eyes closed, savouring his touch on her body.

His hands slid down the curves of her body, down to the hem of her dress, which she had changed into when they came back. He moved his hands under the fabric and pushed it up, caressing the bare skin of her ass. Delicious shivers ran down her exposed skin, caused by his touch.

"You'll want to when I'm done," he promised.

Her stomach fluttered in anticipation. Liv arched her back, pressing her rear into his touch. His hands slid over to her waist, grabbing it tightly, and pressing her up against his clothed erection. Her thoughts were spinning. All she could think of was his hands on her body and him pressing against her ass.

Letting herself fall into the illusion of a happy ending. Even if it was only for a few hours. She knew she was using physical intimacy to run from her fears and deflect from her trauma. She was well aware that she had issues with all that happened years ago, but what good was it to work on it if she didn't make it out alive?

She reached behind her and fumbled with the button on his jeans. Getting impatient when it took too long. James chuckled, releasing her hips and unbuckling his pants, freeing his cock. When his hands were back on her hips again, she rubbed her rear against the smoothness of his cock. Leaning her head back against his shoulder, she only briefly realized they were in the kitchen. Someone could come in at any time.

"James," she whispered, "We need to go upstairs."

He needed to bury himself inside of her, feel her around him, and scream his name. He didn't care who would come in on them. Guiding his erection in between her legs, he rubbed it against her soaked panties. Liv bit her lower lip, trying to suppress her moan, but failed. His left arm travelled from her waist to her lower back, pushing her forward.

"You can't be serious," she hissed, but her body had already obeyed him and bent over the kitchen counter. James held her in place and moved her thong to the side at the same time.

When she felt the tip of his cock nudging her entrance, her resistance evaporated. She wanted him inside of her, desperate for that intimacy since she had seen him again. She was done fighting it, done pretending to be okay without him, done pushing him away. She braced herself for him to enter her, spread her and fill her up when the sudden sound of approaching footsteps ripped through her clouded mind.

"Someone is coming," she whispered.

"I don't care," James groaned.

"I do...", she urged, trying to move her hips out of his hold.

James released her body, but when she stood up straight and adjusted her dress, he rasped into her ear: "We are not done."