Chapter 7

"This is the address?" Zemo asked.

Both opened the doors of Zemo's car and stepped outside, watching the building in front of them. Surrounded by trees, the whole area was in deep darkness. They had chosen to park the car at the back of the area, to stay unnoticed. They were right outside the city's borders. The street lamps on the terrain were out, giving the whole atmosphere a creepy touch.

"Yes, but no one seems to be home," Liv replied, coming closer to the fence, trying to get a better view of the facility in front of them. "I guess we have to go inside."

"This could be a trap," Zemo said.

They had met in the evening to check up on the location she got from Sharon. Despite her being dragged into this mess, she needed to find A.I.M.'s base and bring them down. Clearing her name in the process was added to the list too. She wouldn't allow them to ruin her life again.

Liv activated her bracelets, and her suit covered her body and head. The system started to scan the area. "Probably. But I don't register... Hold on." She tried to analyze the movement the system had caught, but there wasn't enough data. "I think someone is here."

Zemo and Liv decided to part ways and sneak up from both sides. She neared the corner of the first building and peaked around it. The system in her helmet scanned the building to her left. Within seconds, she saw a red silhouette wandering on the second floor.

"Bingo!" she murmured and ran in a crouched posture over to the other building.

She entered the building through an open window, careful not to make a sound. Her helmet showed her objects on her way to side step. Taking a quick glance around, she noticed that all the furnitures were still there. The only thing missing was the hardware. Anything with a memory card. As she passed a desk, she slid her finger over the surface. No dust. They must have left recently.

She managed to reach the staircase, and paused, trying to hear anything. Liv turned off the sensory function of her helmet otherwise it would distract her. When she didn't hear a sound, Liv pulled out a handgun and started to go upstairs. She pointed the gun upwards in case someone tried to attack her.

As soon as she reached the upper floor, she stretched her hand, holding the gun in both hands. The floor was empty. Several closed glass doors on either side led to small offices. The only open one was in front of her, leading into a spacious open-plan office. She tried to keep her breathing even as she entered, searching for the person her system detected earlier. But the room seemed empty.

Lowering her gun, Liv registered too late the movement to her left. She briefly noticed the broad shoulders of her opponent towering over her by a head, identifying him as a man. He grabbed the barrel of the weapon and pushed at her hand from the side, causing her to let go of it. She used the push to spin around and land a kick against his hand. The gun fell to the ground, out of their reach.

He grabbed her leg, spun around and pulled her with him. She hit her back on the hard surface of a desk, slid over it, and fell to the ground behind it. Ducking behind the desk, she saw his feet coming towards where she was supposed to lie.

She snuck up on him from behind, but he had heard her, turned and blocked her punch. Liv grabbed his arm and swung her legs up around his neck and squeezed. In an attempt to get rid of her, he turned them and brought her down hard on the desk.

Liv's suit retreated from her hands, leaving her skin exposed. She dipped into the pit of constant rage inside of her and engulfed it. Grabbing his arm, to let her attacker feel what she was feeling, until his last breath was taken. But as soon as her hand made contact with a cold, hard surface, she paused.

In the corner of her eye, she noticed a glimmer of metal. When she turned her head, she saw black metal reflecting the small amount of light coming from outside. She immediately loosened the grip around the man's neck and double-tapped her temple, revealing her face.

"James? " She pressed out.

"Liv?" James asked, horrified.

"I am in no means to interrupt you, but...", Zemo began, standing in the door way, watching them.

"What are you doing here?" James exclaimed, letting go of Liv as she released his neck.

"Zemo, this is not the time," Liv said, standing up.

James turned towards Liv. He couldn't hide his shock. "You know him?"

Liv didn't reply. Instead, she watched the expression on James's face turn from shock to confusion, and then realization.

"Are you and him...?" James asked, his stomach turned by the mere thought that someone like Zemo would touch his Liv.

"If I may...", Zemo began again.

"No," Liv said calmly.

"No," James said at the same time, but more agitated than she was.

"Apologies," Zemo said, folding his hands in front of him. "Please, do continue."

James took a step towards her, ignoring Zemo, but Liv held up a hand, palm towards him, to stop him from coming closer. The skin of her fingers turned dark grey, a stark contrast to the light skin of her palm. James's gaze wandered from her face to her hand.

"What did they do to you?" James gasped.

"James, don't," she said, seeing his expression. "Don't make me into a damsel in distress. I don't need saving," Liv said, her voice cold. "I don't need you." Her stomach turned when she saw the hurt expression on his face. She wanted to take it back so badly.

"They will try to kill you," James said, starring her down, trying to reason with her. "Let me at least help you."

"They tried before," Liv said. "They failed before."

James stared at her, his jaw set.

"Look," Liv started. "I appreciate your help, but we can't work together."

"Why not?" James asked.

"I had to do terrible things to get to where I am now. Captain America's sidekick can't be connected to me," Liv said, holding his gaze.

"What did you do?" James asked.

"It's not only what I did, it's what I still do, James," she gulped. After all this time, it was still hard for her to say it.

Approaching sirens interrupted their conversation before James could give any reply.

"This is all very... revealing," Zemo said, looking at Liv. "But I suggest we make our exit now, darling."

Liv rolled her eyes. Zemo knew the cops were on their way, but instead he watched the show. She knew this conversation wasn't over and she had a lot of explaining to do.

"I'm coming with you," James said. A finality in his voice, that didn't leave ground for argument.

They rushed over to where Zemo's car was parked and got in.

"If you come with us, there won't be a way out," Liv warned, turning to the back and looking out the rear window for any pursuer. James and her locked eyes. The determination in his eyes made it clear that he wasn't going anywhere.

"My therapist says I need to talk to people anyway," James murmured, averting his eyes and looking out the window.

"It's a pleasure to work with you again, James," Zemo said from the driver's seat, steering the car towards the interstate.

"I hate you," James said from the back of the car, starring at Zemo through the rearview mirror.

Zemo straightened his coat and stretched his chin slightly. "I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that."