30

The day Moon Hae Young leaves Ssangmun-dong is the day things fall apart. From memories once tucked away in a picture frame now kept in boxes, to ghosts of her that lingered in his apartments. Everything had been fraying at the seams, anyway, and this was their form of healing. Though, there was a sting at their farewell knowing that it could be their last. Bittersweet moments that they wished lasted a bit longer--even the bad ones. This is their regret.

Sang-woo knows that she was to leave today, though he stays in his apartment anyway, sulking; trying to forget. After all, how could he not? It has been a good four years with her, until it wasn't. He doesn't remember how it all went downhill, but somehow he also knows that it's his fault.

It's already been a month since the split, but it still feels so fresh, when some of the things Hae Young had left in his apartment were still there. She'd forgotten them, and he doesn't know whether it was good or bad; when the scent she left in his clothes and his bedsheets, the routines that they have developed and had gotten used to was so imprinted in his mind and heart that it wasn't at all easy to forget the ghosts of their four years. It was a pain in the ass, too, to see some of the little things she had left for him to reminisce in the wrong times.

He had found the tiny plastic LED ring by accident in his bedside drawers, where Hae Young mostly kept her trinkets when she spent the night. He'd forgotten to clear that out, too. He picks it up with cautious hands as he holds it against the light, the material gleaming that sent him back to about a year ago, sitting by the curb outside of a convenience store. She had requested for snacks that night after a long day's work, and somehow chose a ring pop.

He had unwrapped it for her, staring at the candy in strange wonder, then an idea popped into his head. He knelt in front of her all of a sudden.

"What are you--"

"Moon Hae Young..." He started. "I have fallen in love with you the moment I laid eyes on you--"

"--Oh god." She laughed, rolled her eyes.

"--Let me finish." He whined. "Will you, Moon Hae Young, make me the happiest man alive and... never buy this shit from a convenience store again?"

They both burst into laughter, Hae Young swipes the ring pop from his hands. "I was craving it!" She tells him defensively.

"So the answer is no?"

"No." She said firmly. "I used to love ring pops as a kid. Besides, it's been a while since I've had this."

He just smiles at her, sitting back down on the curb next to her. Naturally, he takes her free hand, caressing it with his thumb. Though he could feel as if there was something missing at the smoothness of her skin. He hums at the thought.

"Well, what do you think about a real wedding ring then?"

Hae Young pauses, popping the candy out of her mouth. She stares at him.

"Just a thought." He said softly.

"You're crazy." She tells him. "You're really getting me a ring?"

"I might."

"For what?"

"What else?" They stare at each other. There was a pregnant pause. Hae Young scoffs, but Sang-Woo notices the bush forming on her cheeks.

"We're not even three years in..." She mumbles, distracting herself with her ring pop.

"Oh? I didn't know you have a time frame for marriage."