Chapter 57: The Morning After

Mu Yaoting has always been an early bird. No matter if it was a weekday or a weekend, he would always wake up at seven in the morning like clockwork. When Saturday rolled around, it was no different. The elderly man looked out one of the windows to see the rain hadn't quite disappeared. He walked to the living room and hummed quietly as he went through his normal routine.

He grabbed his treasured chess set and sat down at his corner sofa. He placed his set down on his little table and began to play chess by himself. He knew that soon, Siyang would come and play a few rounds with him. However as he moved pieces around the board, he noticed he hadn't appeared yet.

"Huh. He's usually here by now." He murmured to himself.

An hour passed by and still, there wasn't a single sign of his grandson. He stood up and walked over to his room. He saw the door was wide open and looked inside. His room was empty.

"Strange. Where is he?"

Zhilan's mind was groggy as she started to wake up

Zhilan's mind was groggy as she started to wake up. She felt warmth all around her and it was soothing. She let out a hum, but didn't move or open her eyes. She was about to drift off again when she noticed the warmth around her move.

Wait a minute.

Her eyes snapped open and she blinked the sleep out of them. She tried to move, but felt something keeping her in place. She looked down and saw an arm locked around her waist.

What...

Zhilan tried to move again. After some wiggling, she managed to turn on her side. She came face to face with a sleeping Siyang.

We're in the same bed!

She covered her mouth to keep from making any noise. She looked away, trying to recall how they ended up like this.

I remember we had some trouble sleeping...We talked a little bit...I started to fall asleep...I asked him to stay...He must have accidentally fallen asleep while here.

She sighed and quietly watched him. He looked calm and boyish as he slept. She smiled.

He's cute like this.

She glanced away from him as she processed her own words.

Did I just call him cute?

She looked back at Siyang, who continued to sleep soundly.

Well, he is...Okay, that's enough of that. I think it's time to get up.

Zhilan was about to leave the bed, but remembered his hold on her. She tried to gently pry his arm from her waist. As soon as she attempted it though, he tightened his arm around her. She tried again, more slowly and managed to inch away from him a bit. She glanced over her shoulder to make sure that she didn't wake Siyang up.