Chapter 6 - Jeremy Henderson

Jeremy Henderson -

"Behold", Jeremy announced, just before pushing the button in the Transmat, "Greece!"

Astrid chuckled as she stepped out, seeing a place that looked a lot like twenty first century Santorini if it weren't for the fact that there were all kinds of species running around and they'd just stepped out of an alcove that was really a public transmat, "Seems fake, but okay."

"No, it's a human colony. They built it after a place called Sandarin", he grinned at her.

"Place called what now?", she asked mockingly, the playful glint in her eyes giving her away.

His face fell, "Sandarin", he muttered as he picked a brochure out of his back pocket, "No. Santorini", he dropped his arms defeatedly. "You knew that, you were mocking me. How did you know?"

"Love Earth history", she nodded to emphasise her point, "Have a bunch of family there."

"You have family on Earth?", he asked shocked.

"Yup, my godparents, my nan Francine, my parents live there most of the time. List goes on", she shrugged and started pulling her suitcase after him.

She'd decided that while she was still fairly uncomfortable with telling her boyfriend about her entire family history she would also try to keep her own skills and knowledge at bay a bit. Thus, using a suitcase instead of her usual rucksack, and only dropping tiny bits and pieces of personal information here and there, felt like the right way to ease into a relationship.

"You see, you never talk much about your family. I like it when you do that. I'd love to meet your family some time", he smiled at her and reached out his free hand for her to take.

She took it gladly and joined into the chat, "I'd love to meet some of yours some time."

"Okay, yeah, cool. My mum is a full-fledged human. Like, she was born and raised on Earth, her parents both human and she's even got a job there. She's a lawyer, but just for Earth-centred law. She's super proud of her heritage", he told her with wide eyes, "Like, way too proud. Makes me worry sometimes."

Astrid laughed at his expression, "Does your mum have a problem with aliens?"

"No, she loves my dad. Dad's a Kahler. She just always says how Earth is her favourite planet. The best planet she's ever been to. All that. She didn't really get along with Dad's parents", he cringed a bit at the thought.

"Your dad is Kahler?", her eyes widened in fascination, "That's so cool. I'm a big fan of the Kahler. Never met one. You're half Kahler. I've had sex with a half Kahler."

Her excited grin dropped at the scolding glares she received from an older couple they walked past in just that moment and Jeremy broke into boisterous laughter, "Wow. I'll be so glad if you get along with my dad, just please don't phrase it like that."

She couldn't help but join in, "I won't, promise. So, hold up, you don't have the blue mark", she pointed to his temple.

"No, I do. It's just a little paler. Pay attention", he leaned down to her so she could inspect the side of his head.

She furrowed her brows in concentration, and truly, if she really wanted to see it, she could make out the S-shaped mark on his skin, that merely looked like a shadow if you didn't know what it was. She leaned back her head to give a large nod and her lips parted slightly, as if to make an "Ah"-sound but it didn't come out. He chuckled at her antics and finally pulled her into the hotel they'd be staying at.

Over the next two weeks the young couple were mainly just having fun. Between exploring the strange differences to actual Greece and pointing them out to one another, swimming in pools and the ocean, and having their mouths full of local delicacies and wine, they barely had any chance to talk much.